[SOLVED] Rgb fan, problem or not ?

stefansteva

Honorable
Dec 29, 2017
Hello, so i just bought my new Budget build, also bought local branded Case that comes with one rgb fan inside of it, i never used any fans before on a pc so im legit newbie at this. What confuses me is that fan has regular mobo connector 3pin and it has 1x Molex cable, do i plug 1x molex into psu ? Anywas i plugged only 3 pin to mobo and turned on pc, fan only lights up for like 5 secs and than lights turn off but fan i normaly spinning, is that normal, or its supposed to be lit up . Here is site of the fan https://www.winwin.rs/hladnjak-za-kuciste-falcon-ring-blue-led-120x120x25mm-8659294.html

Solution
NO! Do NOT do that!

That fan has two connectors on the SAME cable. This is a design that allows for two possible power sources. You can connect it to a mobo fan header using the fan's standard 3-pin connector, OR you can plug into a PSU 4-pin Molex power output. But you do NOT plug in BOTH. Doing that forces a full 12 VDC source back into the reduced voltage being supplied from a mobo header, and may damage the mobo.

That is an earlier design, among the first to include lights in the fan frame. It can only do one light colour that does not change and is lit up whenever the fan has power. The LED's in the frame are merely connected in parallel with the fan motor so they get exactly the same power source as the motor. This does mean...

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
NO! Do NOT do that!

That fan has two connectors on the SAME cable. This is a design that allows for two possible power sources. You can connect it to a mobo fan header using the fan's standard 3-pin connector, OR you can plug into a PSU 4-pin Molex power output. But you do NOT plug in BOTH. Doing that forces a full 12 VDC source back into the reduced voltage being supplied from a mobo header, and may damage the mobo.

That is an earlier design, among the first to include lights in the fan frame. It can only do one light colour that does not change and is lit up whenever the fan has power. The LED's in the frame are merely connected in parallel with the fan motor so they get exactly the same power source as the motor. This does mean that, when the fan is fed a reduced voltage to slow it down when your system is cool, the LED's will often get dimmer. I think that is what you are seeing. The NORMAL sequence for a fan attached to a mobo header is that, when it first boots up, the mobo sends out full 12 VDC power to the fan to be sure it starts properly. Then in a few seconds as the system finishes its POST process and gets a temperature reading from a sensor, the automatic fan speed control system takes over and slows the fan down to what is needed to keep the system at the right temperature. As the sytsem warms up with use it may speed the fan up. But that slower fan speed and fading LED bightness just after start-up is the normal process for this fan.

Solution