RGB fans? controllers? Connectors? please explain.

jm-april20

Commendable
Sep 27, 2018
So I saw this deal on newegg for 3 140mm RGB fans w/RGB LED controller:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103246

What I know:
I know RGB fans make a ton of colors by mixing red, green, blue by adjusting the amount of power going to each pin (red pin, green pin, blue pin) as well as that regular RGB fans need a 4 pin connector and ARGB fans need a 3 pin connector.

This is my motherboard:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1422993-REG/msi_b450m_gaming_plus_motherboard.html

What I want to know:
How much power does the connector have? How much power do the RGB fans use? Can I use a splitter for the rgb? What role does the controller play and how does it work? Can the controller work as a splitter? will the header have enough power to power the conttroller and the fans?

I'm pretty new to rgb as well as pc building in general (having never built one) so if you could help it would be appreciated.

For anymore questions about my build, here it is:

https://pcpartpicker.com/guide/RxKH99/600-ryzen-gaming-pc

Solution
RGB fan controllers are usually powered by a Molex cable from the power supply. The number of controlled fans varies, but 4 - 6 fans is common. The RGB controller controls the fans and lights.

Alternatively many RGB lights and fans can be controlled by the RGB header on the motherboard.

Generally the RGB header is rated at about 2 amps (more or less the same for a regular fan header).

You will need to check the specific fans and lights for the exact header information .
RGB fan controllers are usually powered by a Molex cable from the power supply. The number of controlled fans varies, but 4 - 6 fans is common. The RGB controller controls the fans and lights.

Alternatively many RGB lights and fans can be controlled by the RGB header on the motherboard.

Generally the RGB header is rated at about 2 amps (more or less the same for a regular fan header).

You will need to check the specific fans and lights for the exact header information .

Solution

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
RGB is not universal by any means. There's several different types of connection, even proprietary connections. Some RGB uses 5v, some uses 12v. Different controllers are able to do different things, ie: some Corsair fans include a single controller per fan, or you can buy a separate 6way controller.

So there's no rhyme or reason to any of it, you'll just have to figure on a starting point and go from there to see exactly what works and what doesn't. If wanting to have software control via mobo, you'll need to first decide on the mobo as they'll also have compatible systems/connections that are somewhat different to other brands of mobo, or choose something like the nzxt hue+ and base everything from that using the Cam software. Going either route will necessitate compromises on fans, strips etc as you won't be able to mix 12v strips with 5v fans without some sort of controller that'll handle both.

Fan headers are assumed 1A, but depending on the mobo will handle @0.8A-1.2A.

Recently, I was able to track down amp rating of the Asus Aura RGB header. It is rated at 2 amps, and their fan headers are 1 amp. This was from the Asus rep on the Asus forums. I've looked on the spec sheets of many motherboards, and generally they don't get that specific.

I haven't found any information on the MSI B450M Gaming Plus Amp rating of there RGB header. I would guess that is similar to the Asus header, but that is just a guess.