Question RGB fans not lighting up or spinning, fan headers not working.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Mar 4, 2023
Please don't spam the forum, keep it to 1 thread
I recently just built a new pc, and everything was plugged in correctly and I made sure of it. But, when I turned it on only the rgb from the ram worked. No fan spins, rgb or etc.

I have a

CPU: RYZEN 5 5500
Motherboard: x570 aurous elite used
Ram: trident z 16GB
SSD/HDD: 500GB western
GPU: 3060 TI used
PSU: 550W Thermaltake smart series

i have not booted yet due to these things, and I tried but it only black screened me.

Last edited:
What is the currently installed BIOS version on the B450 board and what is the model of that board?

You are saying that the 5500 DOES work in the system that you took the 3600 out of?

And just because you got a board that is supposed to be "new", say, from Amazon or Newegg, or wherever, does NOT mean that there can't be something wrong with it. I see people here all the time that get crap somebody has returned not working to one of those retailers and they just ship it right back out to the next guy. I've had it happen myself a couple of times. SO it happens. If the board is brand new and a CPU that works in a different board doesn't work in it using ALL the same hardware (PSU, memory, etc.) then it can only be the board or you hooking up something wrong. That's it. It's really not rocket science.

Mar 4, 2023
What is the currently installed BIOS version on the B450 board and what is the model of that board?

You are saying that the 5500 DOES work in the system that you took the 3600 out of?

And just because you got a board that is supposed to be "new", say, from Amazon or Newegg, or wherever, does NOT mean that there can't be something wrong with it. I see people here all the time that get crap somebody has returned not working to one of those retailers and they just ship it right back out to the next guy. I've had it happen myself a couple of times. SO it happens. If the board is brand new and a CPU that works in a different board doesn't work in it using ALL the same hardware (PSU, memory, etc.) then it can only be the board or you hooking up something wrong. That's it. It's really not rocket science.
Well each system has a different board, psu, and ram to its own.

but I don’t know what bios they have since I can’t even boot, but yes the 5500 works in a alternative system.

And I checked multiple times if everything is plugged in correctly.

Then I would suggest that you REMOVE ALL of the hardware from the system that works, and use THAT power supply and memory with each of the boards that won't seem to work until you figure out which component is causing you problems. And for the record, IF you are using ANY cables, at ALL, with ANY of these power supplies, that did not COME with THAT power supply, then that is a problem and you've probably wrecked something. Not saying you have done that, but I see people on here do it ALL THE TIME and wonder why their crap doesn't work. So if you are using ANY cables that didn't come with a given unit, don't do that.

What are the specs of the system that the 3600 and 5500 DO work in? What is THAT board model, memory kit model, power supply model, etc? And for these others, I'm assuming you have NO other hardware connected aside from the graphics card. No drives, nothing. Just board, CPU, one stick of memory and power supply. Nothing else. Until you get it to POST. It's really very simple. If both CPUs work with one board, memory and power supply but do NOT work with two other power supplies, two other boards and whatever else, then one of those common denominators must be the problem OR you are forgetting to plug something in either fully or in the right place. Or at all. Can't tell you what you are doing wrong when we are not there to SEE it. You kind of need to put the work in in that regard. So, if your other board works with both CPUs, then try the power supply and memory you are using with that board with the other two boards and see what happens. If nothing, then it has to be something YOU are doing wrong.

Mar 4, 2023
I’m
Then I would suggest that you REMOVE ALL of the hardware from the system that works, and use THAT power supply and memory with each of the boards that won't seem to work until you figure out which component is causing you problems. And for the record, IF you are using ANY cables, at ALL, with ANY of these power supplies, that did not COME with THAT power supply, then that is a problem and you've probably wrecked something. Not saying you have done that, but I see people on here do it ALL THE TIME and wonder why their crap doesn't work. So if you are using ANY cables that didn't come with a given unit, don't do that.

What are the specs of the system that the 3600 and 5500 DO work in? What is THAT board model, memory kit model, power supply model, etc? And for these others, I'm assuming you have NO other hardware connected aside from the graphics card. No drives, nothing. Just board, CPU, one stick of memory and power supply. Nothing else. Until you get it to POST. It's really very simple. If both CPUs work with one board, memory and power supply but do NOT work with two other power supplies, two other boards and whatever else, then one of those common denominators must be the problem OR you are forgetting to plug something in either fully or in the right place. Or at all. Can't tell you what you are doing wrong when we are not there to SEE it. You kind of need to put the work in in that regard. So, if your other board works with both CPUs, then try the power supply and memory you are using with that board with the other two boards and see what happens. If nothing, then it has to be something YOU are doing wrong.
Everything is now working for both systems! And everything boots and turns on, but one catch. The case only comes with one power sw, and no other components like reset, led, etc. And it doesn’t work for me, ( I tried all slots)

For everything to turn on and boot I have to jumpstart the computer with a screwdriver, only thing that works. The power button, and the power sw when I plug it in does no justice.

I’m so glad to narrowed that down though, no defective parts!

So now we can only focus on one thing, what do you suggest?

Mar 4, 2023
I recently have just built a PC, and all the components work and boot like properly, but on one catch. The pc only starts by me using a screwdriver and messing with the pins to jump it, I kinda forgot what you call it. But regardless, power button doesn’t work and all of the other buttons on my case do.
My case only comes with power sw, and I have tried plugging it in to multiple pins according to my motherboards manual and nothing works no power button.

What is the model of this case you are working with?

I've never heard of a case that didn't have a power switch, and you ONLY need a power switch. You don't NEED a reset switch, or LEDs, or anything else. Just connect the power switch on the case to the pwr+ and pwr- pins on the motherboard. Again, it's not complicated. If the switch itself is faulty you can pretty easily order a replacement through amazon. There are only a few styles and mostly they are universal so even if you have to do a little bit of finagling to make it fit (And usually, you don't have to. They just fit) you should be able to replace the one on the case with one that works.

https://www.amazon.com/Warmstor-3-P...079787&sprefix=pc+power+switch,aps,123&sr=8-5

Or, you can even do something like this if you want.

https://www.amazon.com/DKE-Button-D...079824&sprefix=pc+power+switch,aps,123&sr=8-3

Or if you have access to any old cases somebody has laying around, even OEM style ones, you can just rob a switch off one of those and replace the one on your case with it. Easy to do really.

Mar 4, 2023
What is the model of this case you are working with?

I've never heard of a case that didn't have a power switch, and you ONLY need a power switch. You don't NEED a reset switch, or LEDs, or anything else. Just connect the power switch on the case to the pwr+ and pwr- pins on the motherboard. Again, it's not complicated. If the switch itself is faulty you can pretty easily order a replacement through amazon. There are only a few styles and mostly they are universal so even if you have to do a little bit of finagling to make it fit (And usually, you don't have to. They just fit) you should be able to replace the one on the case with one that works.

https://www.amazon.com/Warmstor-3-Pack-Desktop-Button-Computer/dp/B072FMVZJZ/ref=sr_1_5?crid=2TIUDOBP76WCM&keywords=pc+power+switch&qid=1678079787&sprefix=pc+power+switch,aps,123&sr=8-5

Or, you can even do something like this if you want.

https://www.amazon.com/DKE-Button-Desktop-Computer-Supplies/dp/B09N3HTLWD/ref=sr_1_3?crid=2TIUDOBP76WCM&keywords=pc+power+switch&qid=1678079824&sprefix=pc+power+switch,aps,123&sr=8-3

Or if you have access to any old cases somebody has laying around, even OEM style ones, you can just rob a switch off one of those and replace the one on your case with it. Easy to do really.
I have a Phanteks G360A, and it does come with a power sw, nothing else though, and I have tried to plug it in all pins according to motherboards manual and it doesn’t work, only a jump start does.

I’m currently building 2 PCs with the same case, and both power sw’s on the case don’t work and the power button doesn’t work on neither. I have tried all pins as well! Only a jumpstart works.

Mar 4, 2023
There's only one spot for the power switch to go into, but since you're able to turn it on by shorting the jumper (which is where the power switch goes), this tells me either the button is busted or there's debris in there. So either you can get a replacement case or buy a replacement switch like this one
I will most likely but the switch, but I’m currently building two builds with the same case and both of them do this, it’s so weird. I can only short them, and the power button doesn’t work no matter what pin the power sw cable goes into.

If both cases are doing this, then you are reading the diagram on where the correct pins are wrong. NO other answer. NO way in hell both switches are bad unless you bought both of these cases used too, like the other hardware, and then I guess maybe, but I really fricking doubt it.