[SOLVED] RGB Fans without RGB Header on the motherboard

spurostalaris

Reputable
Oct 18, 2017
Hello so i've been trying to understand how RGB controllers work and i haven't figured it out yet, I have a motherboard without an ARGB/RGB Header and i have 4 RGB fans in my case which RGB controller should i get so i can make the rgb's work and what header's does a controller require from the motherboard so it can work properly.

Solution
If you don't have built-in RGB support then you would be looking at an RGB fan controller.

There are two types, typically. With both you typically plug the controller into one of the fan headers so that the fan speed can be controlled by the motherboard. The lighting will be controlled by the module. This can be completely independent and have a remote control to change colors to fixed settings and patterns, or can be USB based and have software you load into the OS. The USB ones will plug into an available USB 2.0 header on the motherboard.

As for which one you need, would depend on the fans. Some are proprietary and only work with fans that come with them, but there are several standards out there. Aura Sync(ASUS), RGB...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
If you don't have built-in RGB support then you would be looking at an RGB fan controller.

There are two types, typically. With both you typically plug the controller into one of the fan headers so that the fan speed can be controlled by the motherboard. The lighting will be controlled by the module. This can be completely independent and have a remote control to change colors to fixed settings and patterns, or can be USB based and have software you load into the OS. The USB ones will plug into an available USB 2.0 header on the motherboard.

As for which one you need, would depend on the fans. Some are proprietary and only work with fans that come with them, but there are several standards out there. Aura Sync(ASUS), RGB Fusion(Gigabyte), etc. And a few standards that are specific to fan/cooler companies.

Solution

spurostalaris

Reputable
Oct 18, 2017
They are some cheap Inter-Tech RGB fans idk if it will work with a branded controller unfortunately, i've found a cheap rgb controller but im not sure if its gonna work sadly

ThatGhilliedGuy

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2015
Hello so i've been trying to understand how RGB controllers work and i haven't figured it out yet, I have a motherboard without an ARGB/RGB Header and i have 4 RGB fans in my case which RGB controller should i get so i can make the rgb's work and what header's does a controller require from the motherboard so it can work properly.
I had the same issue, my solution was the cooler master ARGB small controller, fairly cheap but does everything I need it to, then getting a micro USB to a USB header means I can control the LED's via software. Hope this helps!