Question Rgb fans

Icecole25

Reputable
Apr 9, 2019
What type of Case do you have honestly that's what it comes down to.
Also, what are you going to spend on the fans? give me a price. For my rig, I have the Corsair CO-9050059-WW SP Series, SP120 RGB LED they are very high quality and they have Very quiet fans. also Amazing RGB lighting quality and brightness.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LHYI374/?tag=pcpapi-20
Doesnt matter what i spend and i have a nzxt h700i case.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
FIRST question to settle is exactly what mobo you have, and thus what type of RGB header does it have, if any? THIS is vital IF you plan to power and control your RGB lights using a mobo header and mobo-based software utility. (The alternative is to buy a separate third-part RGB Controller of the correct type for the lighting portions of your fans, often best supplied by the fan maker.)

There are two very different and incompatible systems widely used today in computer cases for RGB lighting. The simpler one, often called just plain RGB, uses a 4-pin connector that provides one common +12 VDC power supply line and three separate Ground lines, one for each colour of LED (Red, Green, Blue). Along the light strip all the Red LEDs are connected together in parallel, Greens and Blues on their own lines. The mobo header manipulates the three Ground lines in combinations to turn on colours. Thus at any one time the entire length of the strip is the same colour.

The more complex system is called Addressable RGB or ADDR RGB or ARGB. It uses a connector that looks quite similar, but it has THREE pins (like the 4-pin connector, but with one pin missing). These provide common +5 VDC and Ground lines, and a Control Line. Along the light strip, all the LED"s are grouped into Nodes, each Node containing one LED each of Red, Green and Blue, plus a Controller chip for that trio. All the Controller chips listen to the Control Line. The mobo header sends out on that line data packets with addresses and instructions; each Controller chip accepts only packets addressed to it, and controls its set of three LED's by that. This system can create more complex lighting displays like rainbow waves chasing themselves along the light strip.

Thus both the power supply voltage and the control mechanism are quite different between these two systems. They cannot be mixed together, and there is no simple way to use an adapter between the two. You MUST match the type of RGB lighting device you buy to the type of RGB header your mobo has, OR the type of third-party RGB Controller box you get if your mobo does NOT have an RGB header. NOTE that many mobo makers tell you about their board's RGB control capabilities using a trade name for their SOFTWARE, like ASUS Aura Sync, MSI Mystic Light, Gigabyte RGB Fusion, etc. But these software tools can be used on their boards with EITHER type of RGB header. Most of these companies make mobos with no RGB headers, ones with only plain RGB, ones with only ADDR RGB and ones with both types. Thus the NAME of the software tool does NOT tell you which type of lighting device you need. You must know the type of hardware header on the mobo - 4-pin plain RGB or 3-pin ADDR RGB.

Now, all "RGB Fans" really contain TWO devices in one unit. There is a fan with a motor, and then there's the set of RGB lights in the frame. Each of these has its own separate cable ending in the appropriate connector, and they plug into different mobo headers. You need to check carefully what type of RGB header(s) your mobo has available, and what type of RGB lighting system is built into the RGB Fan you are considering, and make sure they match.

Reactions: Bearmann

Icecole25

Reputable
Apr 9, 2019
And i ended going with Thermaltake Pure Plus 12 RGB TT Premium Edition 120mm Software Enabled Circular 9 Controllable LEDs RGB PWM Case Radiator Fan 3Pack, TT RGB PLUS Software, AI Interactive Voice Control CL-F063-PL12SW-A