RGB Header Amperage Calculation - Help Please

Aug 27, 2018
I have the Asus Maximus XI Hero (WIFI) mobo that has:

2x Addressable RGB @ 3A (5V)
2x RGB @ 3A (12V)

I want to make sure that I don't overload the header and ruin the mobo by plugging in too many devices. Could somebody help with some research and calculations?

There are 8x CoolerMaster MF Pro 120's going into this build, along with an Asus ROG Thor 850W ( With ARGB ), Asus ROG Ryou 240 ( With ARGB ) and potentially an LED strip as well.

Each CM Fan pulls 0.07Amp, but I was unable to find the Amp rating for the Ryou Cooler, and the Thor PSU. Does anyone know?

I have yet to pull the trigger on the fans, cooler and PSU so I would like to know that if I have all of these plugged in, will it overload the header and fry the mobo?

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
You mean overload the 24 pin ATX connector from the power supply? I wouldn't worry about it. The 24 pin ATX connector is rated for up to 30 A on the 5V rail, 12A on the 12V. The PSU itself is rated for 20A @ 5V, 71A @ 12V.
You may be getting pretty close to 12A on the 12V rail when you take into account the power a graphics card can draw from the PCIe slot, but it's not going to burst into flame the instant you hit 12A.

Aug 27, 2018
Thanks for the reply TJ, I've already calculated the TDP of the system and I'm well below 850W. I'm not too worried about the overall load on the PSU.

My question is specifically about the RGB and ARGB headers on the motherboard. I'm worried that my RGB components will draw too many amps and fry the RGB header.

Apologies if my previous explanation confused you.

TRENDING THREADS