[SOLVED] RGB Header lack

Nov 23, 2020
I have bought 10x DeepCool RF120 RGB fans and plan on having 9 of them in the Lian Li O11 Dynamic, along with the Asus ROG STRIX B550-F Gaming. I have read that the RGB of the fans I have bought can be daisy-chained and plugged into one 4pin RGB header on the motherboard.
There is only 2 on the B550-F as I can tell, so:
  1. How many RGB fans would be too much on one 12V 4 pin header?
  2. Do I need to buy an RGB splitter to be able to plug all 9 RGB cables in?

Solution
It is not highlighted as a feature, but the Deepcool manual for those fans DOES illustrate connecting their lighting cables in a daisy-chain fashion. So you would not need an RGB Hub if you simply use that connection system.

Unfortunately, the question of how many and capacity runs into incomplete information, which I see MUCH too often! The mobo manual says each plain RGB header (it has two) can support up to 3A total current draw. But the Deepcool web page does not tell us the current draw for the LIGHTS in one fan - we are told only that info for the MOTOR. So we are reduced to making a guess on the basis that Deepcool says its system CAN support up to 6 Deepcool lighting devices on one source. The "source" it appears is the manual...

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
It is not highlighted as a feature, but the Deepcool manual for those fans DOES illustrate connecting their lighting cables in a daisy-chain fashion. So you would not need an RGB Hub if you simply use that connection system.

Unfortunately, the question of how many and capacity runs into incomplete information, which I see MUCH too often! The mobo manual says each plain RGB header (it has two) can support up to 3A total current draw. But the Deepcool web page does not tell us the current draw for the LIGHTS in one fan - we are told only that info for the MOTOR. So we are reduced to making a guess on the basis that Deepcool says its system CAN support up to 6 Deepcool lighting devices on one source. The "source" it appears is the manual box they supply with a 3-pack of these fans for use when you do not have a mobo header.
If we assume that that box has similar current capability to that of a mobo header, then doing up to six of those fans' lights in one daisy-chain from one plain RGB header on the mobo should be OK. Since you are working with 10 fans, try five on each of the two headers.

Just a small note of caution that applies to all plain RGB systems. The mobo header has a label on it that shows you which END pin is the +12 VDC power source. The female connector that plugs into that has ONE end marked to indicate that hole MUST go to the header 12 VDC pin. Check as you make your connections.

Solution
Nov 23, 2020

Unfortunately, the question of how many and capacity runs into incomplete information, which I see MUCH too often! The mobo manual says each plain RGB header (it has two) can support up to 3A total current draw. But the Deepcool web page does not tell us the current draw for the LIGHTS in one fan - we are told only that info for the MOTOR. So we are reduced to making a guess on the basis that Deepcool says its system CAN support up to 6 Deepcool lighting devices on one source. The "source" it appears is the manual box they supply with a 3-pack of these fans for use when you do not have a mobo header.
If we assume that that box has similar current capability to that of a mobo header, then doing up to six of those fans' lights in one daisy-chain from one plain RGB header on the mobo should be OK. Since you are working with 10 fans, try five on each of the two headers.

Just a small note of caution that applies to all plain RGB systems. The mobo header has a label on it that shows you which END pin is the +12 VDC power source. The female connector that plugs into that has ONE end marked to indicate that hole MUST go to the header 12 VDC pin. Check as you make your connections.
Thank you very much.

I have bought 10x DeepCool RF120 RGB fans and plan on having 9 of them in the Lian Li O11 Dynamic, along with the Asus ROG STRIX B550-F Gaming. I have read that the RGB of the fans I have bought can be daisy-chained and plugged into one 4pin RGB header on the motherboard.
There is only 2 on the B550-F as I can tell, so:
  1. How many RGB fans would be too much on one 12V 4 pin header?
  2. Do I need to buy an RGB splitter to be able to plug all 9 RGB cables in?
Single RGB fan requires 200milli amps max... (Only for lights) and motherboard RGB headder can do upto 3Amps...
So I think you can use all fans without any issue.. yes.. you gonna need splitter to connect them..
Or you can buy seperate RGB Controller. If you are facing some issues..

Nov 23, 2020
Single RGB fan requires 200milli amps max... (Only for lights) and motherboard RGB headder can do upto 3Amps...
So I think you can use all fans without any issue.. yes.. you gonna need splitter to connect them..
Or you can buy seperate RGB Controller. If you are facing some issues..
Thanks for this info.