Discussion RGB in product evolution

nrdwka

Honorable
Jul 26, 2017
From 2018, often RGB lighting (or lack thereof) is considered, respectively, an advantage or disadvantage.

Perhaps it is time to exclude RGB from Pros and Cons, and only to write, is it there or not, as the attitude to the RGB Light is individual (like case color etc.)?
I cannot see why RGB is listed as "Pros" for threadripper cooler review, for example <.<

Sep 25, 2018
RGB is purely for looks. It doesn't provide any performance boost at all, and the disadvantage is that it weighs your system more, and it's also more cable clutter. Advantage is a lit up PC.

My pc is under my desk, it’s had some lighting but the best lighting effect by miles was buying a £30 under cabinet RGB set and sticking it to the underside of my desk. If my pc was on display on the desk I might care but for under desk I’d recommend lighting up the desk instead of just the pc.

In terms of function, RGB lighting on a computer system is the adult / near-adult equivalent of long tassels on bicycle handle bar grips, or playing cards flipping against the wheel spokes.

Ego candy.

I had once considered that it might be nice to have a strip of white LEDs in the top of the case, for those times when I have to open it up and do something; but, the system is usually unplugged when I work on it--not a bad move, all told--so it was discarded as a poor solution to the problem of not having enough light to see when working on the system guts.