Question RGB issue

Gfost73

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
not too sure what the problem could be, I have RGB strips inside my pc case total length is about 6 feet ( strip wraps inside whole case) this is connected to a 4 way splitter. I also have some RGB strips that are on the back of my TV which are probably close to 4 feet in length (with connection wires between each strip) .. The RGB strips on the TV are just crappy china ones that came with this remote to change colors. I had it connected to the splitter and it was working fine, a couple days ago it seems to have stopped working. Now when I plug the ones inside the case into the motherboard they work fine. if I plug the ones on the TV into the mother board, they work fine as well (although seem very dim) however when I plug the 2 sets into the splitter, the ones on the TV will work (dimly) and the ones in PC shut off completely. I have tried removing splitter and connecting direct to the board, as well as using splitter and connecting 1 at a time, same results, if I just have 1 plugged in it works, the TV ones however force the PC ones to shut off no matter what I try, (I've tried new splitter etc) it just seems strange that 1 it was working fine for weeks.. and 2 still sorta works as long as only 1 is plugged in . could it be that somehow these strips are miscommunicating to motherboard? could I have too many on 1 header ( I thought this maybe could be but cant see how when it worked fine) short of buying new RGB strips for the TV , im at a loss.. if anyone has any ideas or suggestions that be great, and no sorry I do not know the brand of strips, both were just cheapo china kind.. (maybe that was my first mistake... ) system specs are in my signature

Gfost73

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
well I think I solved this.. I'm not sure how but for some reason putting the lights on a separate header has resolved the issue. its kind of strange though where they did work all on 1 header, but I'm thinking perhaps was just too many lights.. (again not sure as it was working fine) , seems both headers are working fine still and strips are working well on separate headers. if anyone has any thoughts on why this happening please comment

well I think I solved this.. I'm not sure how but for some reason putting the lights on a separate header has resolved the issue. its kind of strange though where they did work all on 1 header, but I'm thinking perhaps was just too many lights.. (again not sure as it was working fine) , seems both headers are working fine still and strips are working well on separate headers. if anyone has any thoughts on why this happening please comment
Not that strange, there's power limit on every header.

Gfost73

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
yes I know there is a power draw limit of 2amp , what is strange is it worked perfect for 2 months then started glitching .. would work off and on and certain colors would glitch .. but seems issue is resolved now, I just don't know how it worked fine on 1 header for a few months.. but research indicates that my 1 set of 4 draws a tad under 2Amp, so most likely the ones in case are as well, I just not sure how or why it ever worked if the power limit was an issue, but either way works now