[SOLVED] RGB lighted Cooler came with USB cable. How do I use it?

box o rocks

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2012
The RGB Wraith cooler that came with our FX-8350 included 2 extra cables; one for the 4-pin RGB header on a modern motherboard and one with a USB connector on the end. Our motherboard has no RGB header. How do I use the other cable, the USB one?
(Without any cable connected, it cycles thru all the colors. Looks pretty, but it would be nice to be able to select our own color.)

Solution
Lol... yeah, I assumed I could do that. But how would that help me control the RGB colors? If the board had an RGB header, the board's firmware or software would handle it. This board has nothing.

I think AMD partnered with cooler master, so you will have to download coolermasters software. With it plugged into the USB you should be able to control it. That is assuming it can be controlled with the USB cable, I honestly don't know.
Lol... yeah, I assumed I could do that. But how would that help me control the RGB colors? If the board had an RGB header, the board's firmware or software would handle it. This board has nothing.

I think AMD partnered with cooler master, so you will have to download coolermasters software. With it plugged into the USB you should be able to control it. That is assuming it can be controlled with the USB cable, I honestly don't know.

Solution

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Yes, it's a CoolerMaster built cpu cooler. The RGB cable is for connection to RGB header, and is used by the native RGB software on new motherboards, allowing it to sync with other RGB headers. The usb is for use without the RGB header, and uses CM's software which can be downloaded from AMD.

box o rocks

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2012
Thanks guys. Downloaded the Cooler Master software as recommended, but all I get when I run the pgm is the message "plug in your cm device to get started". Tried unplugging, re-pluging, different USB header, rebooting...
Can't get past the this message.

I''ve been reading online about others having this same problem with both new and older boards. Some have tried the special CPU Fan LED USB header on their boards even.
You wouldn't think getting a piece of software to recognize a USB device would be that hard.

Last edited: