• Now's your chance win big! Join our community and get entered to win a RTX 2060 GPU, plus more! Join here.

Pi Cast Episode 3 streams live on Tuesday, August 4th at 2:30 pm ET (7:30 PM BST). Watch live right here!

Catch Scharon on the Tom's Hardware Show live on Thursday, August 6th at 2:00 pm ET (7:00 PM BST). Click here!

Question RGB on fan intermittently working

Jun 28, 2020
I've just built a new PC, for the first few weeks everything has been working fine.

There are 5 RGB fans total, connected to a cougar RGB controller. I have them set on a breathing mode through my MSI mobo's RGB software (Mystic Light).

My issue is this: one of my RGB fans works fine for the first few minutes after startup, then the RGB no longer responds to the lighting mode it's set to.

In a breathing or flashing mode the RGB will become unresponsive for a half hour or so, then be lit up (frozen in whatever color mode it is set to) for a half an hour or so, and just repeats that pattern. The fan is still running as normal, it's just the RGB ring that is having issues.

I've tried changing the lighting mode but it only will acknowledge the change in mode if the PC is reset and will freeze up like it did before
I've tried switching connectors on the cougar RGB controller with no luck. the other four fans have had no issues or hiccups.

ASK THE COMMUNITY