Question RGB Question

Sep 27, 2022
Right, apologies if this is simpler to resolve than i am making this to be and apologies for the lenghty post.

I recently replaced a fan within my case as the last one had blown, it is labelled as being RGB but i have never been able to get this working. My rear fan appears to also be going so i have purchased the same replacement(RGB)

I therefore want to try and get the RGB on both the fans working, the fans i have purchased are GameMax Mirage 120MM - Cheapest available on Amazon.

The fan i am replacing and the one which has already been replaced are Cougar with the following model number i beleive, although this cant be found online - QH 12025SE 12M.

The fans have a single 3 pin connector which are plugged into a A68HM Plus Motherboard, next to the CPU fan and is labelled CHA Fan - This fan has a single red colour when spinning.

My new fan has the same 3 pin but also a 4 pin Molex - When i plug this fan into the same CHA Fan connector, it spins but no RGB, when i use the Molex alone, it spins but no RGB, when i use the 3 pin and Molex, they spin but no RGB.

Having some some research i beleive the reason it does not work is that the A68HM motherboard does not have an ARGB header.

To solve my issue is it as simple as buying an ARGB Controller/Hub like - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Powering-M...wicXNhIjoiNC40NSIsInFzcCI6IjQuMTMifQ==&sr=8-6

and plugging both fans into it with the Molex cables?

TIA

Nephern

Prominent
Sep 20, 2022
When buying fans you never want to cheap out as they keep your system cool, they help with airflow and move hot air out and cold air in, if you want rgb go for a reputable brand like corsair or another brand, but thats not important, if you want to use the rgb i suggest getting a rgb dock becuase it will have 3 pin 5v headers.

Right, apologies if this is simpler to resolve than i am making this to be and apologies for the lenghty post.

I recently replaced a fan within my case as the last one had blown, it is labelled as being RGB but i have never been able to get this working. My rear fan appears to also be going so i have purchased the same replacement(RGB)

I therefore want to try and get the RGB on both the fans working, the fans i have purchased are GameMax Mirage 120MM - Cheapest available on Amazon.

The fan i am replacing and the one which has already been replaced are Cougar with the following model number i beleive, although this cant be found online - QH 12025SE 12M.

The fans have a single 3 pin connector which are plugged into a A68HM Plus Motherboard, next to the CPU fan and is labelled CHA Fan - This fan has a single red colour when spinning.

My new fan has the same 3 pin but also a 4 pin Molex - When i plug this fan into the same CHA Fan connector, it spins but no RGB, when i use the Molex alone, it spins but no RGB, when i use the 3 pin and Molex, they spin but no RGB.

Having some some research i beleive the reason it does not work is that the A68HM motherboard does not have an ARGB header.

To solve my issue is it as simple as buying an ARGB Controller/Hub like - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Powering-Motherboard-Controller-Included-Radiators/dp/B07X9V67JX/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=argb+controller&qid=1664290371&qu=eyJxc2MiOiI1LjA4IiwicXNhIjoiNC40NSIsInFzcCI6IjQuMTMifQ==&sr=8-6

and plugging both fans into it with the Molex cables?

TIA
QH 12025SE 12M. is NOT an RGB fan, just ordinary LED lights, no controller would change that.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Some of your info is inconsistent. You say the new fans are GameMax Mirage 120MM . Those fans have TWO cables from them - one ending in a smaller 3-hole standard fan connector for a mobo fan header, and another in a wider connector that looks like it had 4 holes but one is blocked off. The latter is a standard 3-pin ARGB connector. It has NO 4-pin Molex male connector. Yet your describe your fan as if it has ONE cable from it that has two connectors on that one cable. One is the 3-hole standard female fan connector, and the other you say is "Molex" that you CAN plug in somewhere, but you don't specify where that is.

IF you have fans with ONE cable ending in TWO different connectors, you must NOT connect both at the same time! You can use ONE - connect either to a mobo male fan header OR to a female Molex output from the PSU, but NEVER BOTH. If you connect both, you can force power from the PSU backwards into the mobo fan header and damage that header!

ALSO if you have a fan with a single cable from it, any lights in that are NOT the currently-popular RGB or ARGB type. You can NOT get multiple changing colours from such a fan, nor can you connect it to any mobo lighting header. Besides, your mobo does not have such a header, anyway. The older lighted fans with a single cable that plugs into a mobo fan header only have in their frames LED's of ONE colour that are simply connected in parallel with the motor to the power wires and light up when the fan is turning. Usually their brightness changes according to fan speed, but the COLOUR cannot change. That may be what you HAD in the old fans. I did find an eBay listing for "Cougar Dc Brushless Fan QH 12025SE 12M" that is of this type. I can't tell from your post what your new fans are.

Last edited: