[SOLVED] RGB Strip recommendation

FurryVengence

Commendable
Jul 26, 2019
Decided to move away from my Deep Cool GAMMAX RGB GT to a Dark Rock 4 PRO. For my 9700k (although I never planned on over clocking unsure it's needed)

So while I'll be gaining some themals improvements I'll be loosing some very nice RGB lighting (which I thought was dumb at first)

Was looking to add some strips to my H700 NZXT case. Was hoping to get something that works with Asus Auroa. I saw a lot on Amazon. But the reviews leave a lot to be desired. Any recommendations ?

Solution
I think maybe some marketing campaigns are loosely, and wrongly, using some of this terminology interchangeably as well when they shouldn't be.
Yes, the naming scheme for Asus RGB addressable vs Non-Addressable RGB can be confusing but they both use the same software (Asus Aura) for control.
And some Asus MB's have ARGB and RGB headers which confuses matters even more.
So you really just need to check if they are 4 pin 12v (which means they are non-addressable) or 3 pin 5v (which means they are addressable).

His motherboard specs say:
2 x Aura RGB Strip Header(s)
And his manual shows he has two 4 pin 12v RGB headers (page 1-9)...

DMAN999

Dignified
Ambassador
It depends on what type of RGB headers you have on your Asus motherboard.
My ROG Strix B450-F Gaming motherboard only has 4 pin 12v non-addressable headers.
I have these strips in my case and they work perfectly with Aura for me:
Airgoo Computer Magnetic LED Strip, PC RGB LED Strip Light For 12V 4-Pin RGB LED headers, Compatible with ASUS AURA RGB, MSI Mystic Light, ASROCK AURA RGB Motherboard and 4Pin RGB Controller
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjABegQIBBAB&usg=AOvVaw1Orj1Cjeb71bG9wgxkaeTQ

Last edited:
I thought ALL of the ASUS Aura compatible boards required addressable LED strips? No? The ASUS website seems to think so. I'll take your word for it though as I believe you know your board and likely have dealt with it more than I.

Knowing the exact board model would be extremely helpful.

Those strips say they are compatible with ASUS Aura RGB, not with Aura Sync. Perhaps that is the difference is that your board is RGB sync compatible but not Aura compatible?

Yeah, the product page for your B450-F says it is

Aura sync RGB compatible, not Asus Aura compatible. Seems there is ASUS Aura RGB and ASUS Aura Sync, and they are not the same and are not compatible based on what I'm seeing. One requires addressable RGB strips and the other does not.

I think maybe some marketing campaigns are loosely, and wrongly, using some of this terminology interchangeably as well when they shouldn't be.

FurryVengence

Commendable
Jul 26, 2019
Thank you for the immediate replies. I have an Asus Z390 which I believe is only 4 pin. My current cooler is a deep cool which supports the the right RGB header. It's a brand I trust. These are much cheaper then the ones I was looking at.

Appreciate the help, I should figure out how much line I need to reach the headers on the board.

RGB headers (4-pin RGB_HEADER1/2)These headers are for RGB LED strips.These RGB headers support 5050 RGB multi-color LED strips (12V/G/R/B), with a maximum power rating of 3A (12V), and no longer than 3 m.

What's unusual is that the manual for that board specifically states that it supports the 5050 4 pin addressable RGB LED strips but the 5050 RGB LED strips themselves say this:

RGB 5050 LED 60cm Lighting Strip with Magnetic Backing and Adhesive Strips for use with Aura Sync RGB (3-Pin addressable LED headers ONLY)

Which seems to contradict unless there are both 5050 3 pin and 5050 4 pin.

FurryVengence

Commendable
Jul 26, 2019
The cable setup looks the same as my current cooler cable. I'll probably end up picking that up.

Speaking of cooler (yeah I'm going a bit off topic but you seem really well versed) as previously mentioned I'm upgrading to an Dark Rock Pro from a Deep Cool GAMMAX GT. I have an 9700k. Currently I'm seeing at low load 40 - 45 C. Moving into moderate load such as a GPU heavy game like Quake Champions I'm seeing 60 - 65 C. I've seen one program push my CPU to 85 C with an off shoot into the 90s on a few occasions. Durring a benchmark stress test I saw it hit 85 max

With the understanding I'll most likely never overclock. Is the Deep Rock 4 pro worth the upgrade ? It's a heavy cooler and I'm wondering how this change will go. Knowing I had some issues getting the gammax in my H700 case. The board is potentially bent as is. (One side of the board refuses to stay down)

I hate to change the OP, but this has been the build from hell for me. I just want to get it healthy / appealing and enjoy it. Without creating an even deeper hole to dig out of.

DMAN999

Dignified
Ambassador
Yes, the naming scheme for Asus RGB addressable vs Non-Addressable RGB can be confusing but they both use the same software (Asus Aura) for control.
And some Asus MB's have ARGB and RGB headers which confuses matters even more.
So you really just need to check if they are 4 pin 12v (which means they are non-addressable) or 3 pin 5v (which means they are addressable).

His motherboard specs say:
2 x Aura RGB Strip Header(s)
And his manual shows he has two 4 pin 12v RGB headers (page 1-9):
https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...15014_TUF_Z390-PLUS_GAMING_WiFi_UM_v2_web.pdf

So those RGB strips I linked to above will definitely work with is motherboard and Aura Software just like they do for me.
Version 1.07.57
2019/04/16 132.89 MBytes
AURA 1.07.57
- Enhanced security
https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/Utility/SW_AURA_WEB_W10_64_VER10757_20190416R.zip

Last edited:
Solution
Yes, I see that he has the 4 pin headers which means that the descriptions on the product page for his board and some of the reviews, are wrong, because some of them say that this board has addressable RGB headers which obviously they are not.

So you need the 4 pin non-addressable LED strips it would seem. This is completely confusing because on his motherboard product page it specifically says his board is compatible with the ASUS 5050 LED strips and yet, those strips are 3 pin addressable, so they are not compatible with his four pin headers and he doesn't HAVE any 3 pin headers.

DMAN999

Dignified
Ambassador
Looks like if I want to use the Deep Cool I'll need the EX and not the pro. 2 bucks cheaper. Not really an issue. Other brand looks interesting as well. Thank you for the help everyone!
Asus Aura can be finicky so,
If you have issues with Asus Aura, PM me.
I have a few older versions stored on my PC that will work if the Version 1.07.57 doesn't.
I am currently using Aura version 1.06.95 because it gives me the least trouble.