Question RGB Strips and PWM fan killed MSI X470, Dead

CameronCant

Commendable
Aug 21, 2021
So I purchased a set of RGB strips from Phanteks. I bought a used ML120 Corsair Red fan. I have a Phanteks Enthoo Pro case. I have 3 pin Corsair fans running to case hub 5 total. I decided to install the red Corsair on the HD cage for looks and to blow cool air on GPU. hooked it to the sys fan4 on Motherboard. I then ran the rgb strips nice and neat, hooked one strip to rgb header on motherboard and one to the rgb cable that comes with the case. Hit the on switch and Ol Boy here we go! Fans went full speed which they do but the red Corsair was humming, rgb strips were freaking out trying to choose a color, the PC kinda shutdown, then back on, then shutdown again then on, everything glowing, fans blowing, no video. It was like in The Money Pit where Tom Hanks can't help but watch his kitchen catch fire. Tried every troubleshoot option there is. No video. Power to everything. No video

3 hours later and on my last leg I decided to throw in my old mobo just as a Hail Mary, plugged everything in, turn on, post, Bios Screen, Praise the Sun!

But wait, now I'm stuck with a fan and rgb strips I'm scared to death to use on new board when it arrives. Please tell me this was a faulty mobo and a freak incident. Motherboard was purchased from Amazon warehouse.

rakibfahadgts

Reputable
Aug 4, 2018
Every motherboard had set amp limit for RGB and fan pins. Let me give you a hypothetical example. If your 4 pin fan header is rated for 2 amps and for example your fans are rated at 1 amp if you split 3 fans in the port it can damage the pin and potentially the mobo. I'd similar issues when I tried to install deepcool RGB strips. My PC stopped. But it wasn't the strip at all. I had shorted the GPU somehow. It died. Eventually got a replacement from gigabyte.

CameronCant

Commendable
Aug 21, 2021
So my x470 motherboard fried because of 6 fans and two rgb strips?

everything was in this design: 5/3pin fans running to fan hub that has 1/ 4 pin cable going to motherboard. sys_fan1

1 rgb strip 12v running to rgb header on motherboard.

1 rgb strip running to rgb cable that came with case (not sure where it connects) .I'm starting to wonder if this wasn't the culprit...

1/4 pin fan running to sys_fan 4

Last edited:

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
So I purchased a set of RGB strips from Phanteks. I bought a used ML120 Corsair Red fan. I have a Phanteks Enthoo Pro case. I have 3 pin Corsair fans running to case hub 5 total. I decided to install the red Corsair on the HD cage for looks and to blow cool air on GPU. hooked it to the sys fan4 on Motherboard. I then ran the rgb strips nice and neat, hooked one strip to rgb header on motherboard and one to the rgb cable that comes with the case. Hit the on switch and Ol Boy here we go! Fans went full speed which they do but the red Corsair was humming, rgb strips were freaking out trying to choose a color, the PC kinda shutdown, then back on, then shutdown again then on, everything glowing, fans blowing, no video. It was like in The Money Pit where Tom Hanks can't help but watch his kitchen catch fire. Tried every troubleshoot option there is. No video. Power to everything. No video

3 hours later and on my last leg I decided to throw in my old mobo just as a Hail Mary, plugged everything in, turn on, post, Bios Screen, Praise the Sun!

But wait, now I'm stuck with a fan and rgb strips I'm scared to death to use on new board when it arrives. Please tell me this was a faulty mobo and a freak incident. Motherboard was purchased from Amazon warehouse.
So my x470 motherboard fried because of 6 fans and two rgb strips?

everything was in this design: 5/3pin fans running to fan hub that has 1/ 4 pin cable going to motherboard. sys_fan1

1 rgb strip 12v running to rgb header on motherboard.

1 rgb strip running to rgb cable that came with case (not sure where it connects) .I'm starting to wonder if this wasn't the culprit...

1/4 pin fan running to sys_fan 4
What RGB strips did you buy post a link.

For that case been a good bit of time since I have used one but I don't remember it having a case cable for RGB.

Reactions: CameronCant