RGB strips compatibility

Jul 31, 2018
im new to pc builds, since i have some extra money i want to include RGB strips to my case, but i have no idea how do i set it up, i also think my motherboard is not compatible... no idea if a motherboard can posibly be uncompatible with RGB strips, sooo.... is mine compatible? how do i know if a motherboard is compatible? how do i set it up?

motherboard: Asus - PRIME B450M-A/CSM Micro ATX

thanks in advise, sorry for shit english

Solution
Yes. Check your manual here: http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/SocketAM4/PRIME_B450M-A/E14212_PRIME_B450M-A_UM_WEB.pdf

The Asus Prime B450M-A has 1x RGB header (see Page 1-3, Item #5):

"The RGB header supports 5050 RGB multi‑color LED strips (12V/G/R/B), with a maximum power rating of 3A (12V), and no longer than 3m."

Using this RGB header means you will be able to control RGB LED strips via Asus Sync software. So, it's advisable to shop for RGB strips that has the Asus Sync compatibility, if you want to setup and control such strips in that manner. Just make sure the strips are +12V with the max. ratings as specified above. There are strips that are only +5V and you cannot use those without damaging it, as the sole header...
Yes. Check your manual here: http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/SocketAM4/PRIME_B450M-A/E14212_PRIME_B450M-A_UM_WEB.pdf

The Asus Prime B450M-A has 1x RGB header (see Page 1-3, Item #5):

"The RGB header supports 5050 RGB multi‑color LED strips (12V/G/R/B), with a maximum power rating of 3A (12V), and no longer than 3m."

Using this RGB header means you will be able to control RGB LED strips via Asus Sync software. So, it's advisable to shop for RGB strips that has the Asus Sync compatibility, if you want to setup and control such strips in that manner. Just make sure the strips are +12V with the max. ratings as specified above. There are strips that are only +5V and you cannot use those without damaging it, as the sole header on your mobo only supports +12V.

Note that the RGB header is only optional, as you can also setup a dedicated RGB lighting using external controllers (sold separately). In this scenario, you won't need the Asus Sync software nor need to connect to the motherboard. The RGB strips would have to be powered by the controller via your PSU. Controlling the lighting effects would be dependent on the features of the RGB controller that you will buy. There are some external RGB controllers that may also connect to the motherboard, and there are some RGB controllers that may need to connect to a USB header (especially those controllers that also have an independent software).

Solution
Jul 31, 2018

thank you, that was really useful, im building in the mATX form factor with the fractal design mini c case, how long should the strips be? this is the one im currently looking at: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HUFMIZ2/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza

Yes, the Phanteks RGB strips have the correct 12V/G/R/B pinout and are compatible with Asus Aura Sync. The motherboard header is specified to have a max. power rating of 3 amperes and no longer than 3 meters (3000 mm).

The link that you posted is the Phanteks RGB Starter/Combo Kit which includes 2 sets of 400mm RGB strips (each 400mm strip draws 0.42 ampere) with an optional extension cable (should you want to have that 400mm strip lighting not continuous with the other 400mm strip, like placing it on opposite sides inside the case), and an RGB adapter that will plug into your mobo's header. Note that you can also disregard the extension cable and connect the 2 sets of strips to form an 800mm continuous strip, depending on how you want to route the strips inside the Fractal Mini C case.