[SOLVED] RGB vs ARGB

BradHP

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2011
I'm looking at adding a few fans to my case. My motherboard (ASUS Tuf Gaming B550 plus) has 2x 12v 4 pin connections and 1x 5v 3 pin connection. The case fans are currently connected the 5v. I have a Deep Cool Castle 240EX white cooler on the way, which also uses 5v, so I already know I need some kind of splitter or hub. My case does have a separate built in controller, and the AIO also comes with one, so I could control one of the two that way if needed.

I'm looking at these 2 options for fans:
RGB (slightly cheaper, have the 12v connection open and available to use)
ARGB (will need a splitter/hub that can handle a total of 7 devices, 6 fans and a pump)

I'm not planning to do any kind of crazy rainbow vomit color schemes, so would I be losing much by going with the "old style" RGB over addressable? Or if I already will need a splitter or hub, should I go with the ARGB and just get one big enough to handle it all?

And bonus points if anyone knows of some fans with a white shroud in the same price range.

Solution
If you connect some fans to the mobo ARGB header and use the case's control for another (say, the AIO pump lights) you cannot synchronize the two groups. Further, only the one attached to the mobo header can be controlled via the mobo's software utility.

Similarly, if you get plain RGB fans to connect to the mobo plain RGB headers, you cannot completely synchronize the displays from the two header types. In fact, you'd have to verify with your mobo's Tech Support people on a detail: can their RGB utility control BOTH types of lighting headers at the same time? To do this you still would need some Splitters to connect several fans to each plain RGB header.

For your plan of connecting seven ARGB lighting devices (six fans plus the AIO...

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
If you connect some fans to the mobo ARGB header and use the case's control for another (say, the AIO pump lights) you cannot synchronize the two groups. Further, only the one attached to the mobo header can be controlled via the mobo's software utility.

Similarly, if you get plain RGB fans to connect to the mobo plain RGB headers, you cannot completely synchronize the displays from the two header types. In fact, you'd have to verify with your mobo's Tech Support people on a detail: can their RGB utility control BOTH types of lighting headers at the same time? To do this you still would need some Splitters to connect several fans to each plain RGB header.

For your plan of connecting seven ARGB lighting devices (six fans plus the AIO pump), an ARGB Hub with at least seven outputs is ideal. Here's one example

https://www.amazon.com/RGEEK-Splitt...ild=1&keywords=ARGB+Hub&qid=1603814697&sr=8-4

It has eleven ports on it - ten to use as outputs, and one as input from the mobo ARGB header. Which port is used as input does not matter, I think. It gets all power for the lights from a SATA output from the PSU. The power limit for such a source is 4.5A max total load, so your lighting devices would be limited to at max 0.64 A each (4.5/7). Most ARGB lights consume less than that - for example, the pump unit spec is max 2.25 W for its lights, which is 0.45 A at 5 VDC. The Hub comes with a cable to attach to the mobo header.

Solution

BradHP

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2011
I'm pretty sure AURA Creator will recognize both types of connection.

I saw that same ARG bub when I was browsing last night and wasn't sure because I've never heard of the brand. But that's a decent price and that plus the ARGB fans fit exactly into the amount of gift cards I currently have on Amazon. I might look a little more to see if there's something not too much more expensive with magnetic mounting.

But overall I'll probably just get the hub and the ARGB version.

BradHP

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2011
So...do any respectable and know companies make affordable ARGB hubs? Reading through reviews on Amazon and half of them are "Fried my components" and "Almost burned down my house!"

Cooler Master has one that's a bit more expensive, but maybe worth it since they should be less likely to explode? https://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-MASTERFAN-Addressable-Lighting/dp/B0829QNBS2/ref=sr_1_10?dchild=1&keywords=rgb+hub&qid=1603826138&sr=8-10

EDIT: Apparently that Cooler Master one is made for their proprietary plug, so you either need to use their plugs or shave your cables.

Last edited:

BradHP

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2011
I took a chance and ordered these, even though there aren't any reviews. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08HQJG3ZH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's five fans and the hub for less than I planned to spend on just the fans. I don't expect UpHere to be the greatest, but at least I know the name and I won't be sticking some unbranded hub inside my PC and creating a fire risk. I already have 3 Phanteks fans for intake, these will be top and rear exhaust.

I figure for that price I'll try it and see, especially since it's money I earned taking surveys and stuff.

HappyTrails

Upstanding
Oct 30, 2020
RGB/ARGB is personal taste. If not want to spend much on this then rgb as cheap as you see to like. Get into ARGB opens the can worms sometimes. This happen to me new build and I speend too much on the argb but its money spent so I already took big hit. Now I just run and enjoy for the most. I bought corsair stuff and think it is overly priced but I guess thats better than some of those shorted out things you saw on amazon. ICue isn't perfect, its not bad. Aura sync didn't make me happy very much.

What usually helps me decide is I google argb or look at some on youtube. If something looks good in your mind then maybe its worth a try. Otherwise maybe go with the gut feeling. :D

TRENDING THREADS