Ribbons to useful plugs? Hacked laptop as an all-in-one I/O device

JoQsh

Honorable
Jul 27, 2012
I'm working on is a way to connect those ribbons to a usable plug for the desktop's output. (probably 2 usb, 1 1/8" audio jack, and 1 DVI or HDMI connection) Does anyone know of an adapter for those ribbons? (I don't have the equipment or the skills to use solder for the tiny pins on the connectors the ribbons normally use, but I'm willing to aquire both, if someone points me in the right direction and it's not too expensive) Thanks!

Solution
Hi :)

I own a laptop repair company...

There are NO adaptors...so its soldering or nothing....AND you NEED a temperature controlled soldering iron..... and if you dont know what that is or how it works....give up...

All the best Brett :)

mc837

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2011
Hi, I also have experience looking for ribbons for a laptop.

Sorry, but my piece of advice is give up.

Laptops aren't made for opening up by the general public, therefore looking for parts, especially custom parts like you ask for is basically impossible.

Good luck on your project though!

JoQsh

Honorable
Jul 27, 2012
Yeah - I've done some more researching since posting, and you're both exactly right. I did find this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LCD-Controller-board-for-DIY-a-laptop-a-desktop-monitor-/271008855606?pt=US_Server_Boards&hash=item3f1962f636

in case anyone stumbles across this and is intent on doing it. It's a controller for a laptop display, so it can be used as an output for another computing device. I assume I could find something similar for the keyboard and mouse (or cannibalize controllers from external keyboards/mice) but I figure that would push this project into the $100+ range, and I'd have at least 3 power cords running to the laptop, or some significant electronics work to be able to use just one. At this point, I'd rather just, as you say, give up. :(

Thanks for the help guys - I really appreciate the responses.