Question "Rich Text Document" missing from the right-click context menu ?

Dennis Hagans

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2013
Hey Guys, I have a problem with the right-click context menu

I have lost the "rich text document" but I still have a "text document" in the context menu.

I have tried using the CMD as Admin with this command: reg add "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.rtf\Word.RTF.8\ShellNew" /v Filename /t reg_sz /d Document.rtf

I have also used a Registry hack named "Restore rich text to context menu" :

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.rtf\Word.RTF.8\ShellNew] “filename”=”Document.rtf”

But neither one has restored the rtf document to the context menu.

I have on my desktop wordpad.exe, write.exe, Textedit.exe, and notepad.exe, as I just like having them handy so I found where each one was located and used "send to desktop (create shortcut)"

Right now all I can do is click on text document, then erase everything "document.txt" and then rename the file "new name.rtf" as a workaround for not having the rich text available in the context menu.

I do not even know what I did to lose it.

any help would be greatly appreciated

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, the "reg add" command that you used would probably need a "document.rtf" file located somewhere (I'm not sure where as I have not looked that up). The registry hack that you used would need the file also.

Tip: Always backup your registry before editing it, or using reg hacks. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...-windows-855140ad-e318-2a13-2829-d428a2ab0692

Basically they "copy" the document.rtf file to the location where you are trying to create the new file.

Try this one instead, as no file is needed:

Copy the following to Notepad and save as "AddRTF.reg", then double click on it and add it to the registry. Be sure the filename is AddRTF.reg and not AddRTF.reg.txt

Code:
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.rtf\ShellNew]
"NullFile"=""

Dennis Hagans

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2013
I tried that and it would not work, every time I try to make a new reg file, it refuses to create the registry key, but if I copy the info into an existing reg hack then it works.

The file extension is .reg not .reg.txt just .reg, and the file also has the little blue blocks, but whenever I try to make one and copy/paste the info it refuses to work, so I just copy to an existing one that does work and that solves it save for this time s this did not work.

Which is a pain because I do a lot of writing and right-clicking to create a new RTF file is quite handy for me, and I am really missing it,

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.rtf\ShellNew]
"NullFile"=""

That .reg refuses to work.

could it have anything to do with installing "Textedit"?

Thank you so much for your help.

gardenman

Splendid
I found the info for that reg hack somewhere on the net. I tried it out first. I disabled the "create new rich text document" menu. Then I used the reg, which worked, and added it back to the menu.

Therefore 1 of 2 things are going on here:
#1. You are having issues opening reg hacks and getting them working. Which you said you have issues, but you can also get them working. Please use Notepad only for the time being. You can leave the other program installed, just use Notepad.
#2. Something is already in your registry which may prevent the reg hack (that I posted above) from working.

Try this:
Make the backup copy of your registry as described above.
Open regedit and paste this into the address bar at the top:
Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.rtf\ShellNew
Edit your registry to match this:

SeD3J1j.jpg

You will probably have to remove the "Nullfile" entry which we added with the reg hack that didn't work. You may also have to remove one called "filename" as you mentioned before.

Dennis Hagans

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2013
Ok I have made the edits to my registry to match those in the screenshot you provided.

I took a screenshot of my edit and cannot find any way to upload it as you have, when I tried inserting an image and it's asking for a URL rather than a local file.

The only thing I was not sure of was this bit {/rtf1}

Not sure if that is supposed to be a 1.

I added everything as it was in your registry example, each line being under ShellNew exactly as you have them, rebooted but still no rich text in the context menu.

This how mine now is.

Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.rtf\ShellNew

Default REG_SZ (value not set)
Data REG_SZ {/rtf1}
ItemName REG_EXPAND_SZ @%ProgramFiles%\Windows NT\Accessories\WORDPAD.EXE-213

Again thank you for your replies

gardenman

Splendid
There is a few issues with your registry, or you have just made typos above.
  • The first Default should be surrounded by parentheses like (Default).
  • There should be a comma between WORDPAD.EXE and -213.
SeD3J1j.jpeg

I'm about out of answers. Download ShellMenuNew. Is .rtf listed in it, and enabled?

You can upload screenshots to imgur.com and then get the link from there and use it in here.

Dennis Hagans

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2013
Yes, my (Default) REG_SZ does have the parentheses, I simply forgot to type them in my post.

I just added the comma, WordPad.EXE,-213

And have downloaded ShellMenuNew, I will reboot with the added comma, then if that does not fix it, try the program you listed, thank you so much for bearing with me.

D

Deleted member 14196

I would perform an in place upgrade by making a bootable USB with the windows media creation tool. Basically you boot on it and do a repair install.

Dennis Hagans

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2013
Thank you guys for the help.

I just did a reset and the rich text is back where it was and usable, also my problem with videos not showing the first frame as the icon is also fixed, so I got a twofer :)

Now to reinstall all of my stuff lol.