Ricoh Aficio 3235C - Unusual Issues with Print Quality

reg-fac

Reputable
Jan 12, 2015
Hello,

I have been a silent browser of Toms Hardware for some time and have found many solutions to various IT issues on this forum. I have now joined to become a part of the community and I need assistance with a copier at my workplace.

We have a Ricoh Aficio 3235C which has served us well as a network printer. However, a couple of months ago following a fresh yellow toner installation, issues with print quality begun. Firstly, when installing this cartridge, the printer appeared to get stuck in a loading toner loop, during which the cartridge lost as much as 1/3 (if the sensors are to be believe) of its toner during the loading. The waste toner bin covered in yellow confirmed this. The printer then did seem to work okay following this, however printouts tended to have a yellow tinge that should not have been there. It was never really much of an issue as quality was still passable.

We have since changed the toner cartridge again, and this time it seemed to load okay without any excessive toner dumped in the bin. However, print quality has progressively gotten worse, and issues are no longer just related to the yellow. To talk about the yellow aspect first, generally the top half of the front side of a duplex print intermittently prints with yellow lines or a general yellow tinge. Occasionally, for an unknown reason (toner levels are high) cyan does not print on a page i.e. there is an absent of any Cyan presence, greens appear yellow, blues do not appear etc. I have not noted anything unusual related to magenta. Also, there seems to be excess toner being dumped onto the transfer belt, which would explain the yellow tinge.

Stranger still, last week it went through a spell of printing duplex pages with the back side perfect, but the front side with a yellow tinge all over and the black toner so faint you could not read it. Truly bizarre and nothing I have come across. It hasn't happened for almost a week now, however the other problems above remain.

I tried to run an automatic colour calibration in an effort to resolve and this failed. Upon trying to print again after this, the printouts were predictably all wrong, with black, cyan, yellow and magenta all printing separately on the page. I restored to previous setting which fixed this issue, I have not attempted to run the calibration again.

Does anyone have any suggestions on this? Apologies if I seem a little green about all this, but I have already replaced a motor in this printer during its life so I do know a little on how it all works, but I must say it is all practical based and know little theory on how these machines really work, how toner is applied to paper etc so don't know where to start to correct these issues, I just could not find anything on the internet about this problem, or indeed anything like it.

I look forward to hearing from any of you, please be kind and I apologise if my language is hopeless!

putnameshere

Reputable
Oct 3, 2014
Hi,

I believe that there should be a number on the Ricoh for you to care their technicians to help fix your problem with the printer. They might be able to send a technician out to take a look and help resolve the issue.

reg-fac

Reputable
Jan 12, 2015

Thank you for your speedy response, appreciated.

We purchased our printer a couple of years ago second hand from a printer company who have since gone bust; it is their contact details that are stored as the service number.

In any case though, we are concerned about calling out an engineer as the cost of such a visit and any subsequent repairs could effectively be more expensive to us than writing the printer off. What I really wanted to do is see if the situation is familiar to anyone on here and take any advise anybody may have for me to try a few things with it before referring and taking a decision on professional assistance.