Question Riddle me this - rebooting after 1 second

Jan 17, 2021
Hello all. Looking for the person out there than can solve this one. Here goes....

PC is a Gateway desktop purchased back in 2013. It has been running great until recently. It is a DX4870-UB318/Core I5-3330 CPU, Windows 10, 8 GB RAM (2 4GB sticks, important later on) , 3.00 GHz, 64-bit, Windows 10 Home. BIOS is American Megatrends Version P11-A3., 10-18-2012. Has one hard drive hooked up and that's it.

Here is what happens. After I shut down the computer and restart, the fans turn on for about 1 to 2 seconds, then it powers down for about 5-7 seconds, the turns on for about 1 to 2 seconds, then it powers down again. It does this continuously. It doesn't beep and never reaches the BIOS. I cannot enter the BIOS because it does not stay on long enough. But here is how I can get it to boot up. During the 5-7 second shut-down, if I remove one stick of RAM (either stick), it will the do little longer power on, like 3-5 seconds, then power down for 5-7 seconds, then boot up fine with not issues.

Now I have one stick of RAM removed. I shut down the computer. I restart the computer and I am in the same boot loop with 1-2 seconds on and 5-7 seconds off. Now, if during the 5-7 seconds off time, I reinsert the RAM stick, the next boot will be on a bit longer, 3-5 seconds, then power down for 5-7 seconds, the boot up fine with not issues.

This happens with either stick of RAM. I have ran tests on the RAM while they are both inserted and no issues are found. What in the heck is going on here and how do I get this PC to start up every time with out having to remove or insert a stick of RAM to get it by the reboot cycle? Looking forward to a solution. Thank you.

Jan 17, 2021
Should a like for like power supply be installed, or can a more powerful be installed? Current power supply is a FSP Group Model No. FPS300-60THA(1) 300W output.

TRENDING THREADS