Ridiculed WoW Player Lands Seat in Maine State Senate

Status
Not open for further replies.

halls

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2010
He dropped his seat in the state Senate, that's at least epic-quality loot if you ask me. Congrats Colleen!

ikefu

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
Glad to see some of the Video Game taboo knocked down a peg. Nothing wrong with a healthy hobby as long as it stays below the addiction level.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
what kind of platform is that.. this person has fun, don't elect somebody who will take part in any part of joy in thier life? next thing you will know somebody who is say a carpenter will get attacked for constaltly working with blades and other instruments of destruction. want to attack a persons stance on an issure go for it, but hobbie sjust seems liek a moronic thing to go after

cscott_it

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009
It seemed like a silly thing to sensationalize. That's all politics have become, is to sensationalize and demonize someones personal life and try to make them look as incompetent as possible because of it. Whatever happened to policies and ability dictating the people we elect?

Either way, glad to see the stigma against gamers start to wane.

jellico

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
Honestly, the Democrats are no more a friend to gamers than the Republicans. I really wish we could break the stranglehold these two parties have on American politics and get something going with the Libertarians.

captainblacko

Honorable
May 21, 2012
"The roots will heal in time, as will the entire world. The sacrifices have been made. Just as the orcs, humans, and night elves discarded their old hatreds and stood united against a common foe, so did nature herself rise up to banish the shadow forever. As for me, I came back to ensure that there would be a future, to teach the world that it no longer needed guardians. The hope for future generations has always resided in mortal hands. And now that my task is done, I shall take my place amongst the legends of the past."

very fitting.

mcd023

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010
I don't think that the reaction to her hobby is a political one, but rather generations older than those involved in gaming see it as a waste of time. They were probably thinking, "How can anyone want this time waster in government?" (gov't jokes aside) What they didn't expect was a bunch of ppl, probably early-mid 30's and under, saying, "Yes, yes we do."

btw, toms, is it possible to make the comment block restore my post if I hit submit and I'm not signed in?

aracheb

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2008
[citation][nom]elbert[/nom]Of the things a senator can be addicted to this would have to be least negative. I would think the majority of the senators are addicted to drugs, gambling, sex, or political power.[/citation]
and prostitutes!!!!

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
I do have a few problems with some of her comments (the threat to a real person even if it wasn't meant to be taken seriously) but any fool who who bases their entire campaign on attacking the fact someone plays video games sometimes deserves to lose and lose badly. I don't know what issues the state Senate in Maine has to deal with, but if the biggest contention you can come up with for why your challenger shouldn't take your seat is that they played a game sometimes you must not have a very good case for what you actually do.

unoriginal1

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2012
[citation][nom]jellico[/nom]Honestly, the Democrats are no more a friend to gamers than the Republicans. I really wish we could break the stranglehold these two parties have on American politics and get something going with the Libertarians.[/citation]

Like George Washington said in his farewell address "But, if I may even flatter myself, that they may be productive of some partial benefit, some occasional good; that they may now and then recur to moderate the fury of party spirit, to warn against the mischiefs of foreign intrigue, to guard against the impostures of pretended patriotism; this hope will be a full recompense for the solicitude for your welfare, by which they have been dictated."

He warned over and over that political parties are a good way to ruin a nation. As with other things. It was a sad sad election seeing so many voting simply because one is Democrat or Republican or because a commercial said this or that. Instead of doing research and voting for a valid reason. Not putting Obama down or up. Personally I didn't care for either. But the pure ignorance of the people in our nation today from the top (leaders) to the bottom (us) is scary.

agentbb007

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2006
I'm a republican and this is exactly why my party will never win another presidential election unless we change drastically. We are stuck in the past with old school policies and ideas. WoW has 10 million subscribers, not a small group of people and probably not a group you want to piss off. But unfortunately my party seems to have no problem pissing off small groups, aka immigrants, poor people, women, pretty much every minority in the country. I love Mitt Romney but he said 2 really stupid things that pretty much sums up what people think about our party. 1) Self deportation 2) 47% percent comment.
Here is what I think many people’s perception of the republic party is rich racist white people who:
1. Want to keep big corporations powerful and keep poor people poor.
2. Want to try to pay as little taxes as possible.
3. Hate immigrants and want to deport all of them.
4. Think anyone who has an abortion is a baby killer. 749,232 abortions are performed every year in the US. I’m pretty sure none of these people will vote republican.
It’s time for the Republican Party to make some serious change if they ever want to win a presidential election again.

lysinger

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2010
The Republicans had a brilliant strategy, make fun of and/or bully a gamer. Someone who is often made fun of and/or bullied and has a deep understanding of Internet Communication. I'm glad to see that gamers got together and made a stand. I am even happier to see that their gamer compatriot won. I'd like to see this happen more often and get press coverage.

daglesj

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2007
[citation][nom]agentbb007[/nom]I'm a republican and this is exactly why my party will never win another presidential election unless we change drastically. We are stuck in the past with old school policies and ideas. WoW has 10 million subscribers, not a small group of people and probably not a group you want to piss off. But unfortunately my party seems to have no problem pissing off small groups, aka immigrants, poor people, women, pretty much every minority in the country. I love Mitt Romney but he said 2 really stupid things that pretty much sums up what people think about our party. 1) Self deportation 2) 47% percent comment.Here is what I think many people’s perception of the republic party is rich racist white people who:1. Want to keep big corporations powerful and keep poor people poor.2. Want to try to pay as little taxes as possible.3. Hate immigrants and want to deport all of them.4. Think anyone who has an abortion is a baby killer. 749,232 abortions are performed every year in the US. I’m pretty sure none of these people will vote republican.It’s time for the Republican Party to make some serious change if they ever want to win a presidential election again.[/citation]

Yep all those 'small' groups add up and then they become a much bigger group. Much bigger than the Republican's old dependable middle class white demographic.

The small minority groups are now the majority.

They are seriously losing their support base as each election comes around. I was watching this all from the UK and I kept asking myself "Who the hell are they (the Republicans) trying to appeal to here?"

Status
Not open for further replies.