Question Ridiculous Amount of RAM usage by Windows Game DVR. Need Help

mohitakundi

Honorable
Mar 19, 2015
Running Windows 1809
My specs : Core i3 5010u, 8GB RAM, 1TB Hard Drive, Nvidia Geforce 930m Graphics

I used to record hours of game footage via Game DVR/Game Bar previously and had no problems
Now, suddenly the usage has gone up by a ridiculous amount.
Even Idle Recording of a minecraft main menu takes ~5 GB RAM in 5 mins !!

My System becomes unusable within a few minutes of recording and this is unacceptable. Is there any way to stop this ?

Have a look at the screenshots : IMAGES

Prominent
Mar 13, 2018
Running Windows 1809
My specs : Core i3 5010u, 8GB RAM, 1TB Hard Drive, Nvidia Geforce 930m Graphics

I used to record hours of game footage via Game DVR/Game Bar previously and had no problems
Now, suddenly the usage has gone up by a ridiculous amount.
Even Idle Recording of a minecraft main menu takes ~5 GB RAM in 5 mins !!

My System becomes unusable within a few minutes of recording and this is unacceptable. Is there any way to stop this ?

Have a look at the screenshots : IMAGES

Looks like a problem or something to do with game DVR accumulating the footage in RAM for some strange reason. Try checking through your game DVR settings or disable it and use a more reliable software such as OBS.

mohitakundi

Honorable
Mar 19, 2015
It might be that the hard drive is losing health and is therefore slower, meaning that it's storing more on the RAM
The Hard Drive is Fine, Ran a check and its all good.
OBS video quality seems to be much worse than DVR and takes more space.(Also has more performance impact) Also, some of my games are not detected fullscreen and audio is also bad.
Yes, it seems that it's recording to RAM for no apparent reason. There is no setting that does that. I've checked everything. Just Updated today and still no good.
Anybody here who is experienced with digging around the registry finding stuff ?
I have a feeling there is a registry value somewhere that tells windows how much video to store on RAM before sending it to the HDD. It's probably not flushing the memory or something...