[SOLVED] Ridiculous screw problem with Deepcool Gammaxx GT CPU Cooler. (With images)

111uminate

Honorable
Sep 4, 2012
Can you tell me what's wrong with this picture?

https://imgur.com/hHDa4fQ

I have the Deepcool Gammaxx GT, and I'm in the process of installing it. I have the back plate on the motherboard with the four large screws in place, ready to set the cooler down and attach the brackets.

I'll give you a hint here.

dGfQcJ0.jpg

Yeah .. Whoever at Deepcool decided putting tiny screws in the same bag with these larger screws is a genius. I honestly can't tell you how that small screw fitted and seemingly screwed itself down into the larger one. I need that opening to attach the brackets ..

I have no idea what to do. I've tried a strong magnet to dislodge it. I've tried screwing it out. It seems to be caught on the threading inside the larger screw and will not come out. I've banged it down on a hard surface hoping to shake it loose also. This is beyond ridiculous, and it's the second issue I've run into involving the screws from Deepcool.

Can anyone advise on where I can get a replacement large screw so I can attach the brackets? Or a way to dislodge it? I am so frustrated.

Solution
Shock it (let it fall on marble/concrete/hard floor) might do the trick - even if it's lodging more is still good since the screw threads will have something to grab onto so when unscrewing will actually pull out the screw at least a bit.
Then try unscrewing very lightly not applying axial pressure on the screw. Also a good idea is to hold the face of the screw down so gravity can help a bit while lightly unscrewing. And some magnet power also helps (use whatever strong magnet on the shank of the screwdriver near the business end).

Hope that helps.

Azzyasi

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2011
Shock it (let it fall on marble/concrete/hard floor) might do the trick - even if it's lodging more is still good since the screw threads will have something to grab onto so when unscrewing will actually pull out the screw at least a bit.
Then try unscrewing very lightly not applying axial pressure on the screw. Also a good idea is to hold the face of the screw down so gravity can help a bit while lightly unscrewing. And some magnet power also helps (use whatever strong magnet on the shank of the screwdriver near the business end).

Hope that helps.

Solution