Question Ridiculous underperforming Strix Scar 17 SE - thoughts and help please!?

Feb 6, 2023
Hey guys,

New here. I'm currently running a Scar 17 SE (12950HX and 3080ti) connected to a 240hz alienware display. A couple of days ago, while re-doing my cable management, I noticed that the cable from the power brick wasn't connected that well and it did spark a bit when I tried to plug it back in (disconnected from laptop of course), and along with it, so did the electrical resistance. After turning the power back on, I tried to see if the brick is fried or not, which was not and everything was working as it should. Back to the laptop, the same night, I installed some updates (windows + intel graphics if I recall correctly) + played a bit with turning cpu turbo boost off and creating a profile in armory crate where everything was set to minimal (to get as low temps as possible), profile I was intending to use in lightweight work such as coding or playing LOL. Now the problem begins. I'm usually very perspicacious when it comes to Nvidia overlay (fps stats, temps and etc) as I'm an OCD freak and for the past 1 month (bought the laptop 1 month ago), I know for a fact that using Windows profile in Armory crate (which is balanced), I had constant 230-240fps, never lower, both in LOL and COD Modern Warfare 1 Remastered, which was equivalent with the new profile created, which stats' were at minimum + turbo boost ENABLED. So I thought why not game in Manual if the performance is the same. Oh well, it all went south from here. Somehow, all of a sudden, the same night, the fps started fluctuating. Huge drops, even over to 130fps in league and 80-90 in COD. Tried windows profile, same thing. Did a full reset of the profile and set everything back to default, CPUs are at 100% in power options, turbo boost on, but fps are not constant at all. Performance profile the same, turbo the same. Not even the temps rise as they used to when switching to more demanding profiles. Windows profile used to keep cpu at 50-55 in idle browsing(chrome and etc) and max 65 when gaming (with short spikes to 71-72) and the gpu to max 58 in league and max 70 in COD. Now the temps for both cpu and gpu are less than 50 degrees in idle browsing - cpu is max 60 in gaming and gpu never went past 63 I think. I reinstalled windows and it's the same thing. I have no idea what else to do and I'm frustrated as hell. Just the thought of frying a 4k laptop damages my brain. Bottom line is that pretty much every profile in armory crate behaves the same. No performance improvement, nor stability.

PS: In all honesty, I did not try any hardcore games (like RDR2 or Cyberpunk) to see the performances, though I suspect that if league fluctuates down to 130fps, then Cyberpunk would run in 15fps at ultra.

Any help would be tremendously appreciated. Thanks!!!!

Feb 6, 2023
You have tried a windows reinstall and still the same. its a laptop in warranty, get it fixed from the authorised guys.
Well that was going to happen as a last resort. But I kind of need to know what the problem is. Because if I personally fried it, it would be good to know what the issue is, so I don’t fry the following one again. 😢

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2023
I think its most likely to do with some ROG drivers/settings that might have been missed in the reinstall.
Also, electronics comes with a lot of preventive protection inbuilt. So a faulty power brick connection should not do the damage you are quoting.
Hey man, thanks for the reply. I finally got to the bottem of the problem. I reinstalled windows again, but this time, I have not installed any latest updates other than windows'. I even rolledback my BIOS version to the previous one. Same with GPU drivers, same with Intel. And so far it seems everything works. Even manual profile where settings are min-ed, now runs like it used to. Full fps in LOL with small drops due to CPU not having enough power, but fixed that by adding more W to the CPU. GPU is back to normal. Undervolting the GPU works again, goes up to 2.1k mHz when in turbo. So either BIOS v314 or intel/nvidia drivers / geforce experience were the problems.

Reactions: Lucky_SLS