[SOLVED] Ridiculously slow internet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 3, 2019
Greetings,

Recently i've been having ridiculously slow loading times on almost anything I do in the browser, i just spent more than 1 MINUTE waiting for the Youtube landing page to load, thats where i decided to try and get help here, at certain times and activities this really can become incredibly frustrating and almost unusable especially if trying to work. The issue is not constant, however it is like this the majority of the time, and even at its best i can still feel some delay.

Considering the current global health crisis (around the time this started happening) i was okay with it, thinking it was probably some kind of an overload with a lot of people being home at once, however for quite a while now, things have been lifted in my country and the problem still persist.

I said in the browser, because i don't have any issues whatsoever in other internet related software like games, communication software or any others. I do some multiplayer gaming in my free time, and i've never had even a hick up in World of Warcraft, or any other game. That said the issue might not be browser related, i just don't have much to check apart from the games which work fine.

I'll try to provide as much information as i can and know, if you need something else to help me fix this issue, please post it in the comments and id be happy to add it.

- Im on a Desktop PC, not a laptop
Specifications:
MSI Z370 GAMING PLUS
Intel Core i5-8400 @2.80GHz
MSI 1060 6GB GAMING X
16 GB 2400Mhz T-Force Delta DDR4
EVGA 750W G3
KINGSTON SSD 240G SV300
TOSHIBA 1TB DT01ACA100
Windows 10 Education 1809 Build 17763.1217

- Im on a wired connection using on board Ethernet connector, directly into the router/modem without any switches
While connecting to the routers page in order to get the model number i've also experienced this issue and waited quite a while, i don't know if that helps.

Model: EVW32C-0N

There are 2 PC's connected using wired connection at all times ( I don't use the other one personally, but i've been told that it doesn't have this issue), apart from that there are 1-6 Android/iPhone Smartphones that might be connected

ISP: Serbia BroadBand (SBB)
My internet speed (At the time of writing this, and also having said issues):
3hk03EV.png

- I use Google Chrome exclusively and the issue is NOT tied to it, i tried Microsoft Edge and it was worse than ever.

Much thanks in advance, and please let me know if you need any further information.

Where did you get the speedtest results from. I assume these are not the number you consider slow ?

Speedtest is a browser based file transfer so if you have issues it should be affected.

It is not likely a driver errror or cable problem because it would affect all traffic.

Maybe try a linux USB boot image and see if the problem goes away. Not everything runs under unix but you should be able to run a lot of things to test and it will not affect your windows install.

If unix works I would be blaming windows. Hard to say what normally you just reinstall and hope it goes away.

Reactions: SamirD
Dec 3, 2019
No, these are not numbers i consider slow, however they don't reflect whats actually going on with my internet.

I got the results from speedtest.net, google shows same numbers, and both take at least 30sec to load in, but then they show high speeds, makes zero sense, i know.

I will try a unix based system when i get the time, but i can't just reinstall windows every time theres a problem, it hurts my productivity too much and takes a lot of time to set up like it was, with some things always lacking of course.

I would like to resolve this problem if at all possible, again please ask if theres some other piece of information that you need, im clueless here

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Use either Task Manager or Resource Monitor to observe system performance.

Open one or the other and observe while the computer idles. Drag the window to one side and continue to watch while doing light work or other non-internet activities on your computer.

Finally, again leaving the window open, do some browsing starting with YouTube.

Watch system resources, what is being used and to what extent (%) especially when performance slows.

Do likewise using the other tool. You may spot some "bottleneck".

Dec 3, 2019
Thanks for quick responses guys.

I did the task manager/resource monitor briefly just now, they both show a fixed 0% of network utilization, google chrome is going up to 2Mbps, everything else is negligible. Disk is 0-1% cpu and memory under 50%.

Im gonna be honest i dont 100% know what im looking for here, but it seems fine on this end, nothing out of the ordinary that i can spot. I checked both idle and doing some stuff.

Maybe try to change the DNS on your machine to 8.8.8.8. You want to change it in the ipv4 settings. Also disable IPv6 if while you are in those settings.
It maybe something else but dns can cause web pages to stall.

Dec 3, 2019
Disabled IPv6, and set the primary DNS to 8.8.8.8 and secondary to 8.8.4.4. There might be a slight improvement i can't 100% tell, but it also might be a placebo.

Youtube landing page kinda loaded quickly this time, but any video i open still takes quite a while, just to load it in at 144p, anything higher than 480p is almost impossible to load.

I still mainly use Youtube for testing, but even refreshing this page to see if there are any new comments takes a while, so i wouldn't say its connected to Youtube itself, its just convenient to check there.

EDIT: I don't know if you guys caught this in the first post, but my router page, which should work offline, is loading just as slow as anything else, if not worse. That might give you some pointers

EDIT 2: I just tried booting in safe mode, no help.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2019
Guys, i found the problem, there's a third PC on my network that i forgot about. I was plugging out all the other PC's except mine and turning off the WiFi to test if that helps, and indeed IT DID, i started loading 4k videos instantly, the issue was solved.

I plugged 1 pc back in and turned the WiFI back on, it was still good, until I plugged that last PC i actually forgot about, it went back to how it was.

This is an old PC my sister uses, its probably on 24/7 and who knows whats on it. Now that i know whats happening, maybe you guys can help me resolve it, ill try to reinstall the system there as soon as i can, but in the meantime i need to know what could be happening there, and why was only my PC affected and not the other one, or at least not enough that they would complain.

Do you think its a PC related issue where it was sucking up the bandwidth, which doesn't make sense because again why would only my PC be affected?
Or is it some network related issue where something was not setup correctly?

Glad you got this narrowed down. Well, one way to find out if her system is eating all the bandwidth--boot a linux live cd/usb so that you've got an os running in memory completely separate from windows, and if the problem stops, then it's the windows on that system that's borked.

Dec 3, 2019
I just did this with live ubuntu on both PC's, when either of the PC's is on ubuntu it works fine i tried both with mine, and with the problematic PC in question), however as soon as both of them are on windows it goes back to loading 1min per page.

This is getting very weird.

I just did this with live ubuntu on both PC's, when either of the PC's is on ubuntu it works fine i tried both with mine, and with the problematic PC in question), however as soon as both of them are on windows it goes back to loading 1min per page.

This is getting very weird.
Sweet! So that rules out hardware and networks issues--only one issue left--windows!

There was some sort of 'optimizer' setting that I can remember that may need to be set differently. I know that has been the solution for many with speed issues, and it may work for you.

Dec 3, 2019
Yea its cool, I just wanted to let you guys know what happened.

I'll just reinstall windows, or even leave ubuntu on that other PC, unlike mine its not used that often and its used mainly for browsing.

It still doesn't make much sense, but im satisfied, thanks for all your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.