JTP709

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009
its crazy alright . . . especially the price.

id laugh if i ever saw this build, because the owner sure likes to throw away money. id bet if i asked the owner to loan me two grand to build me a new computer he would, because he must hate having money lying around.

kubes

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2008
The OP's build doesn't even make sense. He's using a server board and server cpu's. Yet he's using two 4980x2. It just doesn't even make sense...its a terrible build. It looks like he just went to newegg and found the most expnesive prices on parts and through a list together basing it on the price of the part vs comptablity.

What scares me is this guy has posted 155 times on TH. That's scary.

JTP709

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009
I'm guessin he just posted that for fun, not because he is actually going to build it. I would love to sit next next to him and play Far Cry 2 with the 1k rig im about to build, and laugh because there would be no discernible difference (except he would be on a 30" monitor lol)

actually, you can crossfire on that board, so it does make a bit of sense, and no, i would not buy it, it was for the hell of it

though, if someone can find that you can't crossfire on that board, i will change

the workstation board and cpu's was for as much cpu performance as possible (can't really find a 2P board for consumer use)

yeah, my current build is only 850, on an old 19" LCD (1280x1024)

JTP709

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009

why would oyu need one? games are designed for the CPUs offered on the consumer market, not 2 CPU servers. Most games are GPU intensive anyway, so other than some extreme multitasking you won't get any super gamer performance. I guarantee i could build a system less than $1500 that would get just as good, if not better, performance as the money you would waste for 2 CPUs and a server board.

Seems it's not quite as moronic a build as we thought mindless.
You have my apologies.

The article was a good read as well.
We had a guy in here just last week that wanted a CAD station he could game on as well. Looks like it's possible.

well i agree this wouldn't be the best gaming system, but, i would do well as a CAD station, though, i think it would still rather well for games

i don't think anyone would want to spend this kind of money on a computer, even for CAD, but, next time someone says they have no spending limit, i'll bring this up

though, i still would like to see what other people think would be a crazy system

JTP709

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009
IMO an i7 is a crazy gaming system :p lol

yeah, as a CAD system that computer would fare well, and would work well for gaming, just with extreme overkill