Rift Developer: WoW's Current State is ''Samey''

Status
Not open for further replies.

cburke82

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011
It can be very "samey" that for sure. But it is hard to go elsewhere when you have so much time involved in your characters lol. I did exactly wahat Blizzard is guessing happened. I leveled to toons throught cata and got board and left lol.

bebangs

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2009
>>rift - cause of World of Warcraft's dip
Wow players does not shift to another subscription game. like cburke82 said, "it is hard to go elsewhere when you have so much time involved in your characters".

But it's easier to shift to another free-no-monthly-subscription game.
Allods, starcraft, fps games, and other new games.

suture

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2011
Well WoW is kinda boring right now but, i doubt any FPS clone or MMO clone (cause yeh.. lots of poor clones of FPS and MMOs outhere) can last 7 years.
Lets wait for the "NEW" blizzard MMO (when i say "new" i hope it wont be another clone)

Neverdyne

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2009
WoW became boring because even though things changed (landscape, story, class spells, etc.) the core gameplay has not. At level 85, the only thing I was doing was flying from roof top to roof top in Stormwind waiting for the queue to pop. It basically felt like I was in a lobby waiting. The only thing that kept me hooked was raiding with my guild, and more specifically it was the people in my guild. Without them the game becomes increadibly boring.

I really wish future MMOs would deviate from the dungeon/battleground end-game and try more open world interaction. The genre needs more fresh meat.

Kileak

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2010
WoW is getting old and boring. Took me 6 years to get bored from it.

Took me 2 months to get bored of Rift.

Too much time involved in characters is probably a good enough reason not to get into these kind of games anymore.

G

its amazing how much the rift devs boast about there 600k subs *cough*, might be worth there time to spend less time bragging and more planning on what there going to do to stop hemoraging subs when the next wave of mmo's start getting released, hard to believe there numbers will stay the same when tera, gw2 and swtor are released....and at the end of the day im not really sure what they dont consider "samey" about there game anyways, its just another raid / rep grindfest, and from the ppl ive talked to the servers get thinner and thinner each week

lolyumadbro

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2011
I quite wow after about 5 years, tried the 1 week Rift trial and said F that. Blizz has sucked all of the blood from the MMO audience.

tk_421

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2011
This guy is dense to think Rift is a brag-worthy release. While I moved on from WoW several years ago I've seen more depth and enjoyable gameplay from cash shop Korean MMO's and iPhone games than I saw in Rift for the month+ I played. Warhammer Online, Conan, LOTRO, even Final Fantasy 11 had much more refined and creative features than Rift.

whysobluepandabear

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
O RLY? See, I personally got sick and tired of the inconsistencies, along with the douche bag group they call developers. I've never seen more incompetent people in my life - with the exception of Washington D.C.

They break and create OP classes/specs on a monthly basis; They also took all of the flavor out of the game by giving hybrids the ability to be do-it-all - and that argument has been going on since the beginning of time - which I'm also not interested in starting, so please don't quote me on it and start your debate, because I have absolutely no interest indulging in that null and stalemate argument.

sceen311

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2008
The only thing I liked about rift is that it felt exactly like playing wow just looked different. But I'm bored of wow so I quit playing rift too.

whysobluepandabear

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
[citation][nom]Kileak[/nom]WoW is getting old and boring. Took me 6 years to get bored from it.Took me 2 months to get bored of Rift.Too much time involved in characters is probably a good enough reason not to get into these kind of games anymore.[/citation]
Yeah, you can pretty much kiss your social life goodbye when you've become hooked on games like WoW.

Some will say you can still have a life - they'll probably even go as far to say that 1 hour a day was all they really ever invested in the game. They also didn't have the best gear, titles or much of anything in terms of importance; so they really weren't playing the same game. To have the best gear, titles and be in a top 100 guild, you're going to be investing AT LEAST 20 hours a week into WoW. Even then, you're going to need more time to do farming and PvP (if you choose).

suture

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2011
Mainly, raids where/are boring/exhausting, too much time killing/trying to kill boss's. after vanilla my "wow played time was to arenas only and some bgs. And got plenty of time in my hands to do other stuff, basically in cataclysm just played about 4/5 months, the first was to lvl and wait for the pvp season and the last 1/2 months where boring already.
Only got tired of pvp in cataclysm, nothing new (rated bgs suked alot) but i got tired of PVE looooonnnnnng time ago (end of vanila)
So, unless another blizzard/wtv company would offer a new gaming experience i dont wanna play a MMO again.. not interested in clones.
For diferent talents and dif class fixs the wow patchs where enough or else i would got bored really sooner.

G

I love the balls on this Rift guy. Makes a clone of WoW using a newer engine, but terrible animations, 3rd rate art, and lackluster at best pvp; then complains about WoW being "samey" for the last 7 years.

It's like selling knock off Prada bags and complaining about how their style sucks.

G

I find it very hard to believe his boasts. Over the last two months rift has become a ghosttown. I can queue for hours toget into a battlefront only to find it is always the handfull of the same people, even invasions seem to find less and less people there. They can brag all they like about wow bleeding but I cancelled my rift sub last week as if wow is bleeding then rift is hemorrhaging like a stuck pig.

therabiddeer

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2008
This period on this type of MMO is on its way out. There needs to be a new creative MMO to take its place. Blizzard claims their next one is entirely different from WoW, so that may just be the next one. Rift is definitely not the game to kill WoW though, it is WoW: Reskinned.

G

a part of the decline also attributes to blizzard's banning wave

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]welltester22[/nom]its amazing how much the rift devs boast about there 600k subs *cough*, might be worth there time to spend less time bragging and more planning on what there going to do to stop hemoraging subs when the next wave of mmo's start getting released, hard to believe there numbers will stay the same when tera, gw2 and swtor are released....and at the end of the day im not really sure what they dont consider "samey" about there game anyways, its just another raid / rep grindfest, and from the ppl ive talked to the servers get thinner and thinner each week[/citation]

i believe that everquest at its peak had 450k subs. it costs money to develop an mmo, but nothing to keep it going.

prodigygamer

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2010
Why all the talk of "Clones"?

WoW is a clone itself...EQ was before WoW and WoW used many of EQ's elements but tweaked them to suit their demographic, UO was before EQ, which basically was leap years ahead of its time and ground breaking in the MMO world.

So basically if you want to talk about Clones...you must correctly label everything after UO a clone, including WoW.

OT

Rift is one of the worst games I have played, there is nothing unique about it, the rifts even form in the exact same spots around the world.

Vanguard: Saga of Hearoes is where it's at for MMO gameplay! even though SOE can't manage it for crap.

jamesedgeuk2000

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2009
More of the same isn't necessarily a bad thing, ive been drinking Coca-cola for over two decades and it hasn't changed, maybe if Rift was as good as WoW he wouldn't feel the need to insult other peoples products lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS