Rift Follows World of Warcraft, Offers First 20 Levels Free

Status
Not open for further replies.

malicemizer

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
Weird, I get emails from them all the time saying first month free, free weekends, free 2 weeks. Now free 20 levels. Its a good game but I wonder if the player base is still there. Like in age of conan or warhammer online I log in and no one is around to level with and when I talk in general chat no one is around to respond.

Goldengoose

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2011
I find when games suddenly have a free to play option/free trials and such the game will get flooded in the next few weeks with new players and then die down again (happend on star trek and a few others).

It's not a brilliant indicator, but i like to use google trends to check out how 'popular' stuff is:http://www.google.com/trends/?q=rift,+world+of+warcraft&ctab=0&geo=all&date=all&sort=0

crisan_tiberiu

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
Every MMO needs to be better the WOW not only in the graphic part. I guess, 99% of the MMOers played WOW. I played aswell...since the release. I tried AoC, RIFT. They miss 2 things: 1. Content and 2. Players. WoW, even if it has a 12+ age recomendation is still very complex (even if nowdays with the cataclysm release it kinda got rly booring .... proof its the 1000000 players that cancheled subs). Many players say that the Vanila/BC times was the best time in WoW..so the new MMOs need to be better then that age in WoW ...

distorxn

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012
The 2 servers I visited as well as my home server seem to be alive and well. And when the server is dead, I'm able to queue up quickly for a dungeon that pulls from a collection of servers to fill the group. There is so much additional content that has been added that it actually is the "game that starts at 50." Best mmo experience in years. I was in AoC and War, and I can say Rift is in stark contrast to sub'd accounts.

2 things Rift did to bring me back was add lots of content regularly (instant adventures/revamped dungeon teirs/4 duo-solo chronicles/more fluid and frequent world events/new continent), and patch quality of life changes regularly (when i craft it pulls directly from my bank so no more annoying bag swaps; better queue times).

Also they added a good deal if you sub for a year, works out to 8.25/mo. I can't go to the theaters for that.

SetZ

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2011
World of Warcraft TBC was the best imo. Not too overly complicated and was just kinda right for an MMO.

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
[citation][nom]SetZ[/nom]World of Warcraft TBC was the best imo. Not too overly complicated and was just kinda right for an MMO.[/citation]
I agree, although I had fun throughout, even though I'm no longer playing.

I wasn't a huge fan of Rift, so only played that for a month. SWTOR is an excellent game, but for some reason I just can't get into it like I could with WoW. I canceled my SWTOR account yesterday after noticing I hadn't played it in 2 weeks.

Don't know what it is about WoW, almost ashamed to say that I playing that game for 6 years, but I did. And honestly, I'll probably go back after they release that Pandas and Pokemon expansion, even though I don't really want to.

Tab54o

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
I played rift a little and although its pretty much the same formula as wow but its still a lot better. Looks better has better combat and better talents.

They update the game so much, seems like they really do care about it. Would have liked to see some innovation. I cant really justify the monthly sub and i hate doing the quests constantly. Other than that its probably the best mmo right now. I also really enjoyed my warrior once i fine tuned my skills. Much more than I like my mage or rogue in wow.

aidynphoenix

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2009
yea but rift sucks.. the areas are not open and unrestricted like wow is, and its not beautiful, everything is dark, gloomy, on fire, lightening in the sky, the character voices sound really poor... game blows fat chunks of diarrhea. i liked wow for the experience and the enjoyment of running through beautiful areas like Ashenvale, or the shimmering flats. the environment and music really created a epic experience. rift is missing all of that.
when i tried the trial, i started out in some basement laboratory, made it outside, the sky is blueish purple and gloomy, all the character voices were poor, i heard odd explosion sounds and didnt know what they were, found it was the sound of the lightening in the sky.. started doing a few quests, one of the quests i realised they reused the same sound of the lightening for something else.. dont remember what it was for, a explosing treasure box or something. but it was a clear indication of how much effort was put into designing this game.. i was on my third quest and they were already useing the same explosion sound for multiple things.. i made it past a town with dead trees, and lots of things on fire, and made it to a decient sized area with stuff to kill, however it seemed as if there was several different ways to go, but some fallen trees and hills prevented me from going any further, i had to go back the way i came.. so i learned the game was not open like wow was. everything i saw before i quit the game was dark and gloomy. it was almost like it was permanently night time..

G

WoW right now vs Rift, Rift wins hands down, such a great game. However Vanilla WoW will never be beaten, ever. The world PvP, epic questing zones like the Barrens, fantastic raid encounters. None of that exists anymore. In Vanilla WoW many raiding guilds didn't even finish Naxx before TBC came out. Nowadays content is cleared in a couple months. Bad players can PUG the hardest boss after a bit of time and a couple boss nerfs. WoW is all about appealing to the masses these days which means casual players who want the best gear in the game. I dont raid in Rift so I dont expect to have the best gear and if I want good gear, I have to work for it. Rift has lost a lot of people to SWTOR recently and this is why many servers are quiet. Trion needs to merge some servers together quickly because people will leave if they log on to a ghost town.

G

It's about time they did this honestly. The games that cost monthly should allow you to try it free for 20 levels. Games aren't like what they used to be. I've paid for them all, but rift and swtor shouldn't be paid games.

J @ Rift Necromancer Pets

aidynphoenix

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2009
you cant actually play to lvl 20 for free. rift wont allow you to leave the begining town. a invisible wall prevents you from leaving it and actually playing the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.