Rift on a 6450 Radeon HD

G

Hello, I recently bought the MMO Rift and had a question about what may be causing my graphics not to be as great as they probably should. I also bought a brand new desktop. The Model is a HPE 500F

Specs:AMD Phenom II 1045T Six-Core 2.70GHz Processor
3MB L2 Cache + 6MB Shared L3 Cache, 4000MHz System Bus
8GB PC3-10600 DDR3 SDRAM (2GB x 4, 16GB max.)
1.5TB (1500GB) 5400rpm SATA Hard Drive
ATI Radeon HD 6450 graphics card with 512MB DDR3 Dedicated graphics memory.
450W power supply

From what the sales man told me is that the graphics card is an OEM card only so I dont know all too much about it. Two things id like answered are is if this graphics card is indeed capable of running rift at ULTRA settings without low textures at 25-30 fps because maybe I am doing something wrong? Second can anyone recommend a graphics card that is under $150 that will get it up to Ultra settings?

I am currently running rift on low textures in ultra settings and in 1920x1080 resolution if that says anything.

Recommended System Specification
Operating system: Windows XP, Vista or 7
Processor: Core 2 Duo 2.2 GHz or better
Memory: 4 GB
Hard disk space: 8.0 GB available
Desktop Video: Nvidia GTS 250 or better
Notebook Video: Nvidia GTX 200M series or better
Sound: DirectX 8.1 compliant card
DirectX®: 9.0c, June 2010 update
Broadband internet connection (DSL, cable modem or other high speed connection)

Thank you so much :)

Disappointeddave

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2011
FWIW, I was using that same CPU in my old box with an ASUS EAH5850 vid card, and Rift was OK when solo in the forest, but in town or raids or where there was a lot to load, it would get very laggy and NPCs would take seconds if not nearly a minute sometimes to appear.

I recently built a new i7 machine (sandy bridge), and am using the very same video card... and the difference is unreal. I now have all settings on Ultra at 1920x1200 and rarely ever dip below the 40s... usually higher. No lag or load times whatsoever. The game is on SSD now too, to be honest, but the cpu clearly made a huuuge difference with the same video card. I know you mentioned a price range of $150, but just fyi - my Micro Center has the cpus <$200, and the mboard <$150...

-Dave

G

Thanks for the feed back man. I thought this processor would be pretty godo though since it's a 6 core..maybe i just don't know enough about computer. I purchased it a couple weeks ago for around $900...I hope I can still return it since the processor isnt too good for rift :(..spending this much money on a pc that cant handle rift with those kind of settings really makes me feel like I wasted my money...ya sure there isnt anything else I can do ?

Kari

Splendid
and what's worse is that the gpu, 6450, isn't really meant for gaming. It's like one step up from an integrated, better suited for media playback and office apps... definitely not fot HD gaming *rolleys*

edit maybe you should have posted on these forums before you bought anything.....

G

Well luckily I can return it. Sorry I never knew about this site before someone recommended it to me. What are your recommendations ? How much will it cost me btw....If its possible could you maybe be build me a computer.....I know its alot to ask..sorry kari.

wdcraftr

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2011
I just ordered the xps 7100 system special, but with the 1075T, 3.0 ghz processor, and 8GB memory..It has the 6450, 1 GB DDR3 graphics card, but I don't do gaming yet, so I'm hoping the faster processor, and more memory will make the video card more efficient than it is in your 1045T system...In the reviews I've read, the 6450 is definitely not a 3D game card, but for most of the older games, it's fine...