Rift on Ultra graphics

Jberry

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2011
Hello, I currently have the Titan Krypt from Overclockers UK http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=FS-210-OK
The product has changed a bit with the RAM of mine being 4GB not 8GB. The graphics card being a Geforce GTS 460 Cyclone. I played Rift before but my CPU and RAM usage were hitting like 70% at times on near full ultra settings. I was wondering would an extra 4GB of RAM lower that a bit. As I feel when I'm playing it the computer is giving it all. The games visually impressive but I don't like playing it with my computer kicking out the noise and heat. Corsair XMS3 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit This was the RAM I was thinking of buying and adding. I can play any other games on Ultra no problem, my Display is about 1280x1050 something like that.

Why would you care about the load percentages getting lower than 70%?
No, adding RAM will not change how hard your CPU works.
What you have, if your CPU is stopping there, is a graphics card bottleneck. The game is being rendered as fast as the card can go, leaving the CPU and RAM twiddling their little electronic thumbs.

Jberry

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2011
At 70% it starts to heat up, and for a game like Rift you can consume a lot of hours playing it gets really hot, which will damage my computer. How does RAM work then?

kevin83

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2011
If you're worried about heat then all you can do is add an aftermarket heatsink for your cpu or buy a high end gaming case. Adding ram will reduce the percentage of ram in use, but it won't help heat output. You could also try underclocking your cpu if your mobo allows it.
Also, heat will not necessarily damage your computer. Certain chips are designed to run under certain temperatures, and you should be fine if your temps don't exceed those defined by the manufacturer. You can use a monitoring tool like core temp to make sure you are under those temperatures.
If you simply want more power then as kajabla said you are hitting a graphics bottleneck and need to upgrade to a better graphics card.

TRENDING THREADS