Rift Starts 2012 with New Subscription Plans, Free Month

Status
Not open for further replies.

classzero

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
Meh, I have grown tired of pay to play. Probably going to cancel SWTOR soon and go back to single player games. Skyrim sounds good with loads of game time I hear.

bloodymaze

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
If that's a bit too steep for your wallet, Rift now offers three months for $12.99 USD and six months for $10.99 USD.

Definitely meant: three months for $12.99 USD per month and six months for $10.99 USD per month.

soccerplayer88

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010
Does anyone really care about Rift anymore? Any game that has ever sought to directly take down WoW has failed. When will developers realize that Blizzard's goliath of an MMO will always crush any other MMO that attempts to clone it?

WoW had a fun run, but quite honestly, it's sucked all the aspects of replaying another MMO for me. I don't want to level another character to do the same thing I was doing before in another game. Developers need to reach out and start coming up with some fresh ideas. Prospects of hearing that Planetside 2 (FPSMMO) or any other MMO that can think outside the box and accomplish the same if not more of their goals is something I look forward to.

But then again... this is Trion Worlds (lol) we're talking about here. They spit out MMO's faster then Nadya Suleman can birth babies.

classzero

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
[citation][nom]soccerplayer88[/nom] Prospects of hearing that Planetside 2 (FPSMMO) ...[/citation]

I would be interested in playing Planetside 2. I enjoyed Planetside.

classzero

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
[citation][nom]bloodymaze[/nom]Definitely meant: three months for $12.99 USD per month and six months for $10.99 USD per month.[/citation]

I got that as well, but I would check it out for at least 3 months if it was truly 12.99 for 3 mo.

G

[citation][nom]soccerplayer88[/nom]Does anyone really care about Rift anymore? Any game that has ever sought to directly take down WoW has failed. When will developers realize that Blizzard's goliath of an MMO will always crush any other MMO that attempts to clone it?WoW had a fun run, but quite honestly, it's sucked all the aspects of replaying another MMO for me. I don't want to level another character to do the same thing I was doing before in another game. Developers need to reach out and start coming up with some fresh ideas. Prospects of hearing that Planetside 2 (FPSMMO) or any other MMO that can think outside the box and accomplish the same if not more of their goals is something I look forward to.But then again... this is Trion Worlds (lol) we're talking about here. They spit out MMO's faster then Nadya Suleman can birth babies.[/citation]

Rift currently is a much better game that WoW. I very much enjoyed Rift myself, but the pace at which its content is being created to consumed, it cannot keep up and satisfy the demands of some subscribers. I wouldn't say Rift has failed. Look at the loss of WoW subscribers, there's a large base, but there's a lot of people cancelling. Wow popularized mmorpgs and hype maybe dwindling. SWTOR will have to work to stay a head of Level 50 subscribers to reduce boredom and with the dialog content creation will be much slower.

Dust 514 will be interesting to play. EVE Online is a terrific game and it would awesome tie MMO populations togeher and have the pvp mechanics of EVE injected into the FPS genre.

G

I'll just wait till Guild Wars 2 for a properly priced MMORPG. You know one like every other game that does not have a subscription.

All the people that went over to play Rift that I know of have all quit saying it got boring fast. It's hardly a WoW killer, that is a joke. I think there is a bigger buzz about the Star Wars OR no one talks about Rift any more. Rift is dying that's why its dropping its prices. It desperately needs new subs or it will die. In the end awards and accolades don't pay the bills subs do and they are losing theirs. What was the Max number of players they got 10% of what WOW has? And now they are dying how many WoW killers will that make that have died?

Harby

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2008
[citation][nom]littleleo[/nom]All the people that went over to play Rift that I know of have all quit saying it got boring fast. It's hardly a WoW killer, that is a joke. I think there is a bigger buzz about the Star Wars OR no one talks about Rift any more. Rift is dying that's why its dropping its prices. It desperately needs new subs or it will die. In the end awards and accolades don't pay the bills subs do and they are losing theirs. What was the Max number of players they got 10% of what WOW has? And now they are dying how many WoW killers will that make that have died?[/citation]

On the other hand 3 friends of mine picked it up during the last month, all of them ex-wow players and one just had bought star wars and putting it aside after less than 5 hours of playtime.

tkoreaper

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2010
A lot of you dogging Rift are sadly misinformed. TOR is losing a lot of players, and I mean quite a bit... so is WoW. Rift may have suffered a bit to TOR, but that past 2 weeks I have seen a ton of people come back from TOR and even new players. There's servers that have been in low-medium population that are now medium-high... so to say Rift is a dying game would be a huge understatement. Rift may have launched with a low amount of content, but they sure put out content faster than any other MMO.

These new subscription prices mean nothing... certainly not a sign of a dying game... one would be foolish to think so. The 1 month price remains unchanged, keep that in mind. This allows people who love the game to save some money in the long run and Trion gets more money up front. New players aren't going to come in and purchase a one year subscription initially so the idea that they're struggling to get subs is absurd. Trion may lose money in the long haul if players take advantage of these packages, but if the population continues to grow like it has the past couple weeks then it wouldn't matter.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
[citation][nom]soccerplayer88[/nom]But then again... this is Trion Worlds (lol) we're talking about here. They spit out MMO's faster then Nadya Suleman can birth babies.[/citation]

According to Trion Worlds' own website, they've only "spit out" 3 games thus far.

End of Nations looks more cartoonish than WoW does....
Trion Worlds was licensed by Syfy to create Defiance.....
Rift is just a bad joke...

[citation][nom]psychotek71[/nom]rift wtf looks like wow at the north pole .. why so bright with happy colors i hope diablo3 is no all bright and happy lulz[/citation]
Nope....Diablo3 is exactly how it should be. Dark and gloomy.

[citation][nom]dcompart[/nom]Rift currently is a much better game that WoW. I very much enjoyed Rift myself, but the pace at which its content is being created to consumed, it cannot keep up and satisfy the demands of some subscribers. I wouldn't say Rift has failed. Look at the loss of WoW subscribers, there's a large base, but there's a lot of people cancelling. Wow popularized mmorpgs and hype maybe dwindling. SWTOR will have to work to stay a head of Level 50 subscribers to reduce boredom and with the dialog content creation will be much slower.Dust 514 will be interesting to play. EVE Online is a terrific game and it would awesome tie MMO populations togeher and have the pvp mechanics of EVE injected into the FPS genre.[/citation]

WoW is also 7 years old....majority of the subscription losses are due to lost interest or life taking over. Regardless of how you look at it...Rift will never kill off WoW. WoW is simply dieing of old age.

leongrado

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2010
You can't kill WoW by copying them. People who say SWTOR will are most likely going to be wrong also. Sure SWTOR has good storytelling and whatnot but it's fundamentally still WoW with Star Wars skin. Right now I'm looking at Guild Wars 2 as the next to challenge for WoW. From what I've seen, they're definitely the most unique MMO that's coming out. I've also heard some very good reviews from people who have played the game at game conferences. No subscription fee is also a huge plus. Still, I don't think it's too likely that that will happen. WoW players don't seem to want to quit a game that they've invested years of time in.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
What it will take to kill WoW is the next evolutionary step in MMORPGs. Likely the first game to make this leap will be the one to take WoW down. The problem however is innovation in the genre is simply dead they all want to be clones or half-assed games based on a already popular franchise hoping that will generate revenue.

It is sad that we live in a time where games have lost almost all innovation and originality (except for indie games which tend to exceed in this area) and instead all just want to follow this straight path. MMORPGs isn't the only genre suffering from this either but they by far have gotten the worst of it.

sicktir3d

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2011
Rift is becoming the hard core raiders choice mmo. Wow is for the masses and swtor, it's just a bad game for star wars fans.

kathiki

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2010
Rift is an excellently designed game. Those who say that Rift is boring is not just misinformed but definitely the person who never delved into the game seriously. The game has a unique systems of classes, each class with different souls and each soul with different skills. The combinations are so diverse that the game really becomes very addictive.

The end game raids in amazing. They need a lot of skill and guild coordination, something you cannot easily find in other mmorpg games.... (only seen this in Everquest and the best mmorpg of all times Vanguard).

The only problem i saw with the game and with most of these games is that the levelling system is way too fast allowing mmorpg freaks to run through the basic content in less than 4-6 months. The end raid remains unsurpassed even then.

People do not leave mmorpgs only because they tend to become boring. It is because the economic crisis is hitting so many countries that people now can;t really afford to pay for a game they spend less time on.

All companies now must think that a better subscription policy will not only bring in new players but keep their current ones. Take into account that people from countries with economic problems will not be able to pay a whole year of subscription upfront, but the 3 month and 6 month sub look very enticing indeed.

As for the new f2p trend in mmorpg games.... Careful what you call f2p. A lot of functions or utilities come with paying money and you honestly end up paying 4 to 5 times more than a monthly subscription.

And by the way, it is time to get over this idea of other mmorpg games copying WOW. WOW has copied so many of its predecessors in the mmorpg history that you can't possibly imagine. It is simply the fact that WOW introduced more people in the mmorpg genre than any other game due to its previous Lan success.

G

SWTOR owns this game to the ground, I wouldn't bother with this game, just stick with SWTOR, best MMO in the market.

jalek

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007
Sony runs so many promotions that Everquest 2 can be subscribed to for $30 per year if timed right, but it's also F2P, or more accurately, F2 do a lot of things with limited gear quality.

arael

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
Rift is an excellently designed game. Those who say that Rift is boring is not just misinformed but definitely the person who never delved into the game seriously. The game has a unique systems of classes, each class with different souls and each soul with different skills. The combinations are so diverse that the game really becomes very addictive.
Incorrect.

I have had 3 characters at level 50, my main being a Cleric with 5 roles (of which I used all of them).
Played the game for about 3 months total before being bored out of my mind with it. And yes, I have raided, I have tried all classes and most spec combinations.

Don't get me wrong, the game was fun for a bit, but it gets old fast. Quick to level, end game content was lack luster, constant grind for gear (as with any mmorpg) and a useless crafting system.

Having said that, SWTOR kept me interested until about level 10ish. Now level 30, but so over the game. Pretty much a waste of money for a single player game that has average PVP tacked on.

GaZZa_Da_G

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2006
[citation][nom]soccerplayer88[/nom]Does anyone really care about Rift anymore? Any game that has ever sought to directly take down WoW has failed. When will developers realize that Blizzard's goliath of an MMO will always crush any other MMO that attempts to clone it?WoW had a fun run, but quite honestly, it's sucked all the aspects of replaying another MMO for me. I don't want to level another character to do the same thing I was doing before in another game. Developers need to reach out and start coming up with some fresh ideas. Prospects of hearing that Planetside 2 (FPSMMO) or any other MMO that can think outside the box and accomplish the same if not more of their goals is something I look forward to.But then again... this is Trion Worlds (lol) we're talking about here. They spit out MMO's faster then Nadya Suleman can birth babies.[/citation]

dude how retarded are you guys?

can you not work out that if 12months is $99 "AS STATED" that is $8.25 a month
so maybe the fact that prices are right?!

I just wished WOW would follow and make their prices more competitive

G

I don't know about dying as some games seem to potter on forever with far fewer subs than Rift, but I would say it is in serious decline. The world does not need another WoW clone (even a good, very polished one), I uninstalled is a few days ago because I found it lacking in a number of areas:

- The content with the exception of the two end game raids is too easy.
- There is a lack of distinction between classes.
- The classes/souls were all on the simpistic side.
- PvP lacks content, is grindy and lacks balance, both in terms of open PvP becuase of using the dumb two faction system, but also in Warfronts, they don't teh teams, so much of the time the outcome of the warfront is pretty much predetermned by one side outranking the other, which makes for boring PvP whichever side you are on.

I think the PvP side has declined much more than the PvE, I played the English speaking EU group and when I left they were pretty much down to one server (the other PvP server is dead).

SWTOR took a chunk out of the playerbase, some came back, but the truth is numbers were already declining, whilst I think the game will chug on with fewer subs, I do think there is a real possibility that GW2, Tera & Secret World could basically finsih off the PvP aspect of the game and GW2 especially may take a chunk out of th eplayerbase as a whole.

G

All you WoW Fanboys.

Rift isn't trying to "kill" WoW, it's just a game for people that are over the cartoonish graphics and terrible-community that WoW offers. Simply stated.

...and it is a better game.

Status
Not open for further replies.