Rig Shutdown Yesterday, 2x Today Suddenly. Unresponsive/Blank Screen, Must DC PSU to Reboot as the Rig is Still Powered On

Hellrott

Honorable
Oct 20, 2015
The title breaks it down pretty well. I have experienced 3 times now with an appearing to be increasing frequency where my computer will suddenly, so far while gaming, turn off the system but not completely. It will continue to run, but it will not display anything on the monitors and it is completely unresponsive to any other commands except turning off the PSU directly and rebooting (something that physically pains me to do). I have no idea where to begin but I am suspecting this is either Ryzen related or the mobo malfunctioning in some capacity.

However, I am completely lost on where to go from here and so I come to you all for help. Your wealth of friendliness and knowledge has helped me in the past, hopefully we can do that again.

First, here are my computers specs:

Model:
Operating System: Windows 10 build 15063 (64-bit)
Motherboard Manufacturer: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd
Motherboard Model: X370 GAMING PRO CARBON (MS-7A32)
Motherboard Version: 1.0
BIOS Manufacturer: American Megatrends Inc.
BIOS Version: 1.50
BIOS Release Date: 2017/04/27

CPU Information:
Manufacturer: AuthenticAMD
Type: AMD Ryzen 7 1800X Eight-Core
Lithography: 14nm
Number of CPU's: 1
Cores per CPU: 8
Logicals per Core: 2

Clock Frequencies:
Measured Speed: 2961.1 MHz [Turbo: 3698.6 MHz]
Multiplier: 29.6X
Bus Speed: 100.0 MHz
Cache per CPU package:
L1 Instruction Cache: 16 x 32 KB
L1 Data Cache: 16 x 64 KB
L2 Cache Size: 16 x 512 KB
L3 Cache: 16 MB

Memory Devices:
Slot 1: 8GB DDR4 SDRAM PC4-25600
Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3200C16
XMP: 1.35V, Clk: 1600.0MHz, Timings 16-18-18-36

Slot 2: 8GB DDR4 SDRAM PC4-25600
Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3200C16
XMP: 1.35V, Clk: 1600.0MHz, Timings 16-18-18-36

Video Adapters:
Video Card 1: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080
Memory: 8191MB
Video BIOS: Version86.4.17.0.80
Driver Version: 22.21.13.8205
Driver Date: 5-1-2017
Monitor 1: 1920x1080x32 144Hz (Primary monitor)
Monitor 2: 1920x1080x32 60Hz

I spent a great deal of money on this rig and I am very frustrated. I am unsure how to begin to troubleshoot this.

I can only offer this piece of information, the CPU LED likes to light up on the motherboard itself and the GPU, too, lights on sometimes as well. I am not sure how the computer has been functioning just fine thus far if there are truly POST/other issues going on with those but everything has been just fine until yesterday. Had this build for at least 2 months now.

Thank you everyone for your time and I hope I found the right place.

InvalidError

Titan
Random issues on a PC that seems to work fine otherwise can be caused by a PSU that is too slow to react to load swings or has excessively noisy outputs that cause components to misbehave. Usually, that would end up with a random reboot or shutdown but random lock-ups are also an option.

Hellrott

Honorable
Oct 20, 2015

It looks like I forgot to provide the PSU specs: its an 850 EVGA (I believe) gold 850w PSU. Do you really think that could be the issue?

InvalidError

Titan
You should be fine PSU-wise then. If you have a 2nd display, keep an eye on CPU/GPU temperatures to see if that might be a thermal issue. Also, there has been another BIOS update, you may want to try that too. Running memtest86 for a few hours might be a good idea too.

Hellrott

Honorable
Oct 20, 2015
I've used Ryzen Master before and I turned off the overclock as you had suggested before I made the post as I had worried the same thing, even if it was used with the "Wizard" feature or whatever AMD calls it.

I've gotta say, the memory-AMD-mobo firmware thing is incredibly frustrating. I only JUST got it to finally be 2933 with the latest drivers, not convinced it is stable yet but that was after this issue appeared so I am not convinced it is the cause, though certainly could be helping the problem reoccur.

I will download Ryzen Master again and see if that helps. I have heard some awful things about the problem and did away with it, especially after reading that someone bricked their computer updating the bios without flashing through the UEFI. However, I trust any word on Tom's Hardware over my own explicitly. You guys are awesome, don't know how you manage to be keep all the angry, rude and, condescending remarks out of here like other forums have but it is so very appreciated.

I will also Windows Key+R and run some tests with the second monitor off, it would be nice to play on my monitors natural resolution for once, too. I have the BenQ XL2730Z and some random ASUS as a second display so you may be onto something there.

Anyway, thanks guys! I will report back with what I find after I get off work.

Hellrott

Honorable
Oct 20, 2015

Man, this is so crazy switching from Intel. I had a i5-4690k overclocked to 4.5 totally stable for I think two years. That little chip was a badass. It's a completely different beast working with AMD. I am so sick of the heat and I have since gone to liquid cooling. I am actually totally fine with downclocking it and lowering voltages for that reason alone.

I really should just tear-down the system and start over and make it more efficient. It's kind of got a "spaghetti code" kind of thing going on now because I've replaced so many parts over the years. Only thing that is original at this point is the PSU.

That could also be the problem. PSUs are the most important part of the computer, if you have some old crappy one, you have an old crappy computer.

Hellrott

Honorable
Oct 20, 2015

Aw, come on, give me more credit than that. I have spent all kinds of money elsewhere, it would be a shame to go cheap on the PSU. If anything, I went overboard, I linked it in the above comments but it is a EVGA 850w "80 Gold" G2 PSU. I think it may even still be in warranty, I would be very surprised if that were the problem but it would be foolish to rule out. I'll keep that in mind while troubleshooting with the above recommended steps.

While unlikely, it could be you got the one bad EVGA G2.

Julzz_

Prominent
Mar 4, 2017
I am experiencing like this right now. Yesterday I am using my computer and it suddenly shutdown and started to boot loop. I tried to turn it off and try to open it again but it still do the same. I also have a ryzen 1400 and evga 550w b3. Today my pc doesnt even boot up anymore. What solution should i do?