Dec 20, 2018
Greetings, I need some advice please. Currently I have an inwin 301 case, xfx 550w bronze, gigabyte h97m-e, 8gb ddr3 ram, msi gtx 970 and a i54440 250gb samsung 860 evo ssd and 1tb wd hdd. I would like to upgrade my graphics card and cpu for 144hz 2k gaming and work, Photoshop/Wordpress. I was thinking along the lines of a GTX 2060 super or amd equivalent. I also like the look of the Ryzen 5 3600 cpu. Could someone give me some pointers about the best way to upgrade. Things like should i sell my current build and start again ? Or should i just sell a few parts and reuse some parts and which parts? I think i would prefer to switch to AMD value/performance but open to suggestions. My budget is £800 plus any cash from my current set up. Also my Inwin case is brand new and i was thinking of using it with a mini itx mobo. Is this a good idea?

Thanks in advance..

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

How old is your PSU? I would start again but retain the SSD and HDD as well as the case from your current build. That way you only need invest on the CPU, motherbaord, rams, and GPU(and PSU, provide your PSU isn't up to par or is too old).

You should ideally stylize your post with the necessary information as shown in this thread. We can move forward from there.

Reactions: charliusaitchison21
Solution
Dec 20, 2018
Ah thanks for the welcome and speedy response! I wasn't sure i had posted correctly the first time so thanks heres all my info below

Approximate Purchase Date: Immediate to 4 weeks

Budget Range:£1000 £1200

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Work/Gaming, Movies, Surfing

Are you buying a monitor: No

Parts to Upgrade: Gpu, Cpu, Mobo, Ram, Psu

Do you need to buy OS: No
Please note that if you're using an OEM license of Windows, you will need a new one when buying a new motherboard.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts:
Amazon, Newegg, Ebuyer, Suggestions welcome..

Parts Preferences:I would like AMD cpu and gpu but open to best price performance suggestions and build set ups

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: No

Your Monitor Resolution: BenQ EX2780Q 27 Inch 2K QHD HDRi 144 Hz

Additional Comments:
RGB ok but not important. I like understated style that simmers haha

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: Mutitasking Speed/performance/workflow, glitzy graphics and smooth gameplay

Inwin 301, GTX msi 970 4gb gaming, Intel i5 4440, hyper fury x 8gb ddr3 ram, xfx 550w bronze certified psu (5 years old), Gigabyte h97m-e mobo, wd 1tb hdd, Samsung 860 evo ssd

Thanks for any advice i really appreciate it..

Dec 20, 2018
Since you've already got the gtx 970, I'd say worry most about psu, CPU, board and ram. You can carry the 970 over.

If you have the budget, go ahead and upgrade it as well, but I think get the platform set correct then see where you are.
Since you've already got the gtx 970, I'd say worry most about psu, CPU, board and ram. You can carry the 970 over.

If you have the budget, go ahead and upgrade it as well, but I think get the platform set correct then see where you are.
Thanks for the advice. Could you reccomend a psu and motherboard that would go well with a ryzen 5 3600?

Dec 20, 2018
Ok, then yes, in my opinion, do this.

Carry over these things

-SSD
-Hard drive
-Case(if desired, new ones are cheap enough though depending what you want, your call)
-GTX 970

Upgrade

-PSU
-CPU--since you would save money on not buying a GPU today, I think I like the idea of splurging on a 3700x if you like since you save money on the GPU upgrade)
-Board(Depending on usage, maybe a solid B450 board is ok here. Not as much up on B450 boards, but the MSI tomahawk seems popular. I defer to the other guys here though)
-Ram---Get at 16gb at least of ddr4 3000 or better. If you want more ram that is fine, 16 is a sweet spot right now I think

Reactions: charliusaitchison21