Right-click in Start menu disabled

Until very recently, I could go into "All Programs" in the Start menu,
right-click somewhere, and then left-click on "Sort by name" to arrange
the program icons in alphabetical order. Now for some reason, nothing at
all happens when I right click on any part of the Start menu. I have no
idea what my have happened, or what I could have done, to cause this to
happen. Any suggestions as to how I may be able to restore this
function? (I'm using XP Home, SP2).

Thanks...ncSkeet

If your right click menu is missing.....

XP Start Menu >>
Right click the Start button | Properties |
Start Menu tab | Customize button | Advanced tab |
Scroll down to and Check: ? Enable dragging and dropping |
OK | OK

[[Specifies whether you can drag items to the Start
menu.]] Also disables right click menu if UNChecked.
----

If XP Pro...

You can use the Group Policy editor (Gpedit.msc) under the following
location to configure Start menu features:
User Configuration \ Administrative Templates \ Start Menu and Taskbar

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\
Policies\Explorer
The registry entries are DWORD values. A value of 1 is enabled, and a value
of 0 is disabled.

Policy: Disable drag-and-drop menus on the Start Menu
dropping items. Other methods of customizing the Start menu are still
enabled.
Registry Value: "NoChangeStartMenu"

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:O$shqHGRFHA.904@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
ncSkeet <TheBe@les.kom> hunted and pecked:

Wesley Vogel wrote:

> If your right click menu is missing.....
> XP Start Menu >>
> Right click the Start button | Properties |
> Start Menu tab | Customize button | Advanced tab |
> Scroll down to and Check: ? Enable dragging and dropping |
> OK | OK

That did the trick...many thanks. I wouldn't have known to check that
when I first noticed the missing right-click menu. I must have unchecked
it by mistake somehow.

Thanks again..ncSkeet

You bet, ncSkeet. Keep having fun. :)

--