Right click menu delay.

After right clicking on a desktop icon, as I run the mouse cursor down the
list of Open/ ... /Send to/ Cut/Copy etc, "Send to" often gets highlited
simply by running the cursor over it but not having selected it. If I click
on something else "Send to" remains highlighted for a few seconds after which
the item I clicked on is executed.

What might cause this and how can I prevent it?

Right-click is slow or weird behavior caused by context menu handlers

Right-click is extremely slow only when Network is enabled
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/rcdelay.htm

Right click causes an error and crashes Explorer.exe after installing
Windows XP SP2
http://www.winxptutor.com/sp2/divxcrash.htm

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:684DE89B-CC32-4E7D-9EFB-EAD9DC45232D@microsoft.com,
dmb06851 <dmb06851@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> After right clicking on a desktop icon, as I run the mouse cursor down the
> list of Open/ ... /Send to/ Cut/Copy etc, "Send to" often gets highlited
> simply by running the cursor over it but not having selected it. If I
> click on something else "Send to" remains highlighted for a few seconds
> after which the item I clicked on is executed.
>
> What might cause this and how can I prevent it?

Thank you Wesley, it's the first case which applies.

I shall look further into it tomorrow with the information you pointed me to.

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> Right-click is slow or weird behavior caused by context menu handlers
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/slowrightclick.htm
>
> Right-click is extremely slow only when Network is enabled
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/rcdelay.htm
>
> Right click causes an error and crashes Explorer.exe after installing
> Windows XP SP2
> http://www.winxptutor.com/sp2/divxcrash.htm
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:684DE89B-CC32-4E7D-9EFB-EAD9DC45232D@microsoft.com,
> dmb06851 <dmb06851@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> > After right clicking on a desktop icon, as I run the mouse cursor down the
> > list of Open/ ... /Send to/ Cut/Copy etc, "Send to" often gets highlited
> > simply by running the cursor over it but not having selected it. If I
> > click on something else "Send to" remains highlighted for a few seconds
> > after which the item I clicked on is executed.
> >
> > What might cause this and how can I prevent it?

If you have an Nvidia graphics card, disable everything Nvidia with
ShellExView.

Extension Name: Desktop Explorer
Extension Name: Desktop Explorer Menu
Extension Name: DesktopContext Class
Extension Name: NVIDIA CPL Extension
Extension Name: nView Desktop Context Menu

Worked for me.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:E2B41DF3-B17F-414B-83E9-F3B7B438CCBA@microsoft.com,
dmb06851 <dmb06851@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> Thank you Wesley, it's the first case which applies.
>
> I shall look further into it tomorrow with the information you pointed me
> to.
>

> "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
>
>> Right-click is slow or weird behavior caused by context menu handlers
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/slowrightclick.htm
>>
>> Right-click is extremely slow only when Network is enabled
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/rcdelay.htm
>>
>> Right click causes an error and crashes Explorer.exe after installing
>> Windows XP SP2
>> http://www.winxptutor.com/sp2/divxcrash.htm
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>
>> Wes
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> In news:684DE89B-CC32-4E7D-9EFB-EAD9DC45232D@microsoft.com,
>> dmb06851 <dmb06851@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
>>> After right clicking on a desktop icon, as I run the mouse cursor down
>>> the list of Open/ ... /Send to/ Cut/Copy etc, "Send to" often gets
>>> highlited simply by running the cursor over it but not having selected
>>> it. If I click on something else "Send to" remains highlighted for a
>>> few seconds after which the item I clicked on is executed.
>>>
>>> What might cause this and how can I prevent it?

Hello Wesley,

Using ShellExView I have identified a context menu handler. It's

gcASShredCtxShell.Handler Yes Context Menu File Shredder Context
Menu 1.00.0043 Giant AntiSpyware File Shredder Context Menu GIANT Company
Software, Inc. No No No C:\Program Files\GIANT Company Software\GIANT
AntiSpyware\gcASShredCtxShell.dll {9838E6E3-6EE5-4434-8521-07F414BD5FEC} 7/6/2004 7:15:04 PM 9/18/2004 10:07:11 PM No * A 36,864

The right click facility works correctly with it disabled, but what do I do
now?

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> Right-click is slow or weird behavior caused by context menu handlers
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/slowrightclick.htm
>
> Right-click is extremely slow only when Network is enabled
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/rcdelay.htm
>
> Right click causes an error and crashes Explorer.exe after installing
> Windows XP SP2
> http://www.winxptutor.com/sp2/divxcrash.htm
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:684DE89B-CC32-4E7D-9EFB-EAD9DC45232D@microsoft.com,
> dmb06851 <dmb06851@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> > After right clicking on a desktop icon, as I run the mouse cursor down the
> > list of Open/ ... /Send to/ Cut/Copy etc, "Send to" often gets highlited
> > simply by running the cursor over it but not having selected it. If I
> > click on something else "Send to" remains highlighted for a few seconds
> > after which the item I clicked on is executed.
> >
> > What might cause this and how can I prevent it?

You either have Giant AntiSpyware or the Microsoft AntiSpyware beta.

I have neither one of these programs.

It looks to me like there was some kind of File Shredder in the right click
menu.

Leave it disabled unless you need the file shredder.

Open up Help for Giant AntiSpyware or the Microsoft AntiSpyware beta and see
if you can access the file shredder some other way if you need to.

If you do not need the file shredder, also leave it disabled.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:9CF771E0-E028-4E1A-821C-7E7DF1A476AA@microsoft.com,
dmb06851 <dmb06851@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> Hello Wesley,
>
> Using ShellExView I have identified a context menu handler. It's
>

> gcASShredCtxShell.Handler Yes Context Menu File Shredder Context
> Menu 1.00.0043 Giant AntiSpyware File Shredder Context Menu GIANT Company
> Software, Inc. No No No C:\Program Files\GIANT Company Software\GIANT
> AntiSpyware\gcASShredCtxShell.dll {9838E6E3-6EE5-4434-8521-07F414BD5FEC}
> 7/6/2004 7:15:04 PM 9/18/2004 10:07:11 PM No * A 36,864
>

> The right click facility works correctly with it disabled, but what do I
> do
> now?
>

> "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
>
>> Right-click is slow or weird behavior caused by context menu handlers
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/slowrightclick.htm
>>
>> Right-click is extremely slow only when Network is enabled
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/rcdelay.htm
>>
>> Right click causes an error and crashes Explorer.exe after installing
>> Windows XP SP2
>> http://www.winxptutor.com/sp2/divxcrash.htm
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>
>> Wes
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> In news:684DE89B-CC32-4E7D-9EFB-EAD9DC45232D@microsoft.com,
>> dmb06851 <dmb06851@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
>>> After right clicking on a desktop icon, as I run the mouse cursor down
>>> the list of Open/ ... /Send to/ Cut/Copy etc, "Send to" often gets
>>> highlited simply by running the cursor over it but not having selected
>>> it. If I click on something else "Send to" remains highlighted for a
>>> few seconds after which the item I clicked on is executed.
>>>
>>> What might cause this and how can I prevent it?

That's what I thought Wesley but I thought it better to ask.
It's the Giant product by the way. I expect I shall have to activate
Microsoft's version once Giant relinquishes responsibility.

Thank you for the help.

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> You either have Giant AntiSpyware or the Microsoft AntiSpyware beta.
>
> I have neither one of these programs.
>
> It looks to me like there was some kind of File Shredder in the right click
> menu.
>
> Leave it disabled unless you need the file shredder.
>
> Open up Help for Giant AntiSpyware or the Microsoft AntiSpyware beta and see
> if you can access the file shredder some other way if you need to.
>
> If you do not need the file shredder, also leave it disabled.
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:9CF771E0-E028-4E1A-821C-7E7DF1A476AA@microsoft.com,
> dmb06851 <dmb06851@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> > Hello Wesley,
> >
> > Using ShellExView I have identified a context menu handler. It's
> >

> > gcASShredCtxShell.Handler Yes Context Menu File Shredder Context
> > Menu 1.00.0043 Giant AntiSpyware File Shredder Context Menu GIANT Company
> > Software, Inc. No No No C:\Program Files\GIANT Company Software\GIANT
> > AntiSpyware\gcASShredCtxShell.dll {9838E6E3-6EE5-4434-8521-07F414BD5FEC}
> > 7/6/2004 7:15:04 PM 9/18/2004 10:07:11 PM No * A 36,864
> >

> > The right click facility works correctly with it disabled, but what do I
> > do
> > now?
> >

> > "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
> >
> >> Right-click is slow or weird behavior caused by context menu handlers
> >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/slowrightclick.htm
> >>
> >> Right-click is extremely slow only when Network is enabled
> >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/rcdelay.htm
> >>
> >> Right click causes an error and crashes Explorer.exe after installing
> >> Windows XP SP2
> >> http://www.winxptutor.com/sp2/divxcrash.htm
> >>
> >> --
> >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
> >>
> >> Wes
> >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> >>
> >> In news:684DE89B-CC32-4E7D-9EFB-EAD9DC45232D@microsoft.com,
> >> dmb06851 <dmb06851@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:

Let's hope that it's after MS is done beta testing theirs. ;-)

Keep having fun.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:B137BFD6-A038-4E3A-A618-530A02182D08@microsoft.com,

kelly

Ditto! :eek:)

--

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

> Let's hope that it's after MS is done beta testing theirs. ;-)
>
> Keep having fun.
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:B137BFD6-A038-4E3A-A618-530A02182D08@microsoft.com,
> dmb06851 <dmb06851@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
>> That's what I thought Wesley but I thought it better to ask.
>> It's the Giant product by the way. I expect I shall have to activate
>> Microsoft's version once Giant relinquishes responsibility.
>>
>> Thank you for the help.
>>

>> "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
>>
>>> You either have Giant AntiSpyware or the Microsoft AntiSpyware beta.
>>>
>>> I have neither one of these programs.
>>>
>>> It looks to me like there was some kind of File Shredder in the right
>>> click menu.
>>>
>>> Leave it disabled unless you need the file shredder.
>>>
>>> Open up Help for Giant AntiSpyware or the Microsoft AntiSpyware beta and
>>> see if you can access the file shredder some other way if you need to.
>>>
>>> If you do not need the file shredder, also leave it disabled.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>>
>>> Wes
>>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User