Right click menu on a file

Paolo

Hi guys
I ha ve this kind of problem.
When i right click on a file the first line of the menu that appear is
always "Notepad" and i can't have a Shortcut Bar of my installed "Office
2000 running because when i click on an icons of these Shortcut bar it will
open always the Notepad file and not the relative program
(Excell,Outlook,Word a.s.o....)
How can i cancel these right click menu ?
Thank

I'm not quite sure what you are asking, but I will try to take a stab at
this. Somehow my guess is that at some point in time when you last used
notepad as a file associate, you checked or left checked the little box that
said "open always with notepad". To get an "open with" option in Win98 where
it will allow you to once again chose what type of file you want associated
with what you are trying to do, try this. "highlight" the item you want to
"right click" on. Before you right click on it hold the "shift" key down and
"right click" at the same time. Not only should a "open" option appear, an
"open with" option should also appear as well. You then can highlight that
and it will allow you to once again choose what file association you want to
use. Once you highlight what you want to use, notice the little box on the
bottom left. I always make sure I "uncheck" this box before I use the file
association or that file will always use that file association, such as
"notepad" in your case. I hope this helps you out.

"Paolo" wrote:

> Hi guys
> I ha ve this kind of problem.
> When i right click on a file the first line of the menu that appear is
> always "Notepad" and i can't have a Shortcut Bar of my installed "Office
> 2000 running because when i click on an icons of these Shortcut bar it will
> open always the Notepad file and not the relative program
> (Excell,Outlook,Word a.s.o....)
> How can i cancel these right click menu ?
> Thank

Paolo

Hi
i tank you really much for your help.
I have tried to do this kind of suggestion ,but the open with windows has
had always the little box "open always with" was gray and i can't remove the
association.
Looking in the regedit file i discover in the in the Hkey_Classes_root a
strange first key with a "*" key and "Notepad in the right part of the
regedit file.
I take courage and i delete this key form my regedit file and i solve
finally the problem.

Regards
Paolo
"mrbigbry" <mrbigbry@discussions.microsoft.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
> I'm not quite sure what you are asking, but I will try to take a stab at
> this. Somehow my guess is that at some point in time when you last used
> notepad as a file associate, you checked or left checked the little box
that
> said "open always with notepad". To get an "open with" option in Win98
where
> it will allow you to once again chose what type of file you want
associated
> with what you are trying to do, try this. "highlight" the item you want
> "right click" on. Before you right click on it hold the "shift" key down
and
> "right click" at the same time. Not only should a "open" option appear,
an
> "open with" option should also appear as well. You then can highlight
that
> and it will allow you to once again choose what file association you want
> use. Once you highlight what you want to use, notice the little box on
the
> bottom left. I always make sure I "uncheck" this box before I use the
file
> association or that file will always use that file association, such as
> "notepad" in your case. I hope this helps you out.
>
> "Paolo" wrote:
>
> > Hi guys
> > I ha ve this kind of problem.
> > When i right click on a file the first line of the menu that appear is
> > always "Notepad" and i can't have a Shortcut Bar of my installed "Office
> > 2000 running because when i click on an icons of these Shortcut bar it
will
> > open always the Notepad file and not the relative program
> > (Excell,Outlook,Word a.s.o....)
> > How can i cancel these right click menu ?
> > Thank

You should not have deleted the "*" key itself. All you should have done is to
delete the "Notepad" entry in the right pane of Regedit.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"Paolo" <paolotripi@aliceposta.it> wrote in message
> Hi
> i tank you really much for your help.
> I have tried to do this kind of suggestion ,but the open with windows has
> had always the little box "open always with" was gray and i can't remove the
> association.
> Looking in the regedit file i discover in the in the Hkey_Classes_root a
> strange first key with a "*" key and "Notepad in the right part of the
> regedit file.
> I take courage and i delete this key form my regedit file and i solve
> finally the problem.
>
> Regards
> Paolo
> "mrbigbry" <mrbigbry@discussions.microsoft.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
> > I'm not quite sure what you are asking, but I will try to take a stab at
> > this. Somehow my guess is that at some point in time when you last used
> > notepad as a file associate, you checked or left checked the little box
> that
> > said "open always with notepad". To get an "open with" option in Win98
> where
> > it will allow you to once again chose what type of file you want
> associated
> > with what you are trying to do, try this. "highlight" the item you want
> > "right click" on. Before you right click on it hold the "shift" key down
> and
> > "right click" at the same time. Not only should a "open" option appear,
> an
> > "open with" option should also appear as well. You then can highlight
> that
> > and it will allow you to once again choose what file association you want
> > use. Once you highlight what you want to use, notice the little box on
> the
> > bottom left. I always make sure I "uncheck" this box before I use the
> file
> > association or that file will always use that file association, such as
> > "notepad" in your case. I hope this helps you out.
> >
> > "Paolo" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi guys
> > > I ha ve this kind of problem.
> > > When i right click on a file the first line of the menu that appear is
> > > always "Notepad" and i can't have a Shortcut Bar of my installed "Office
> > > 2000 running because when i click on an icons of these Shortcut bar it
> will
> > > open always the Notepad file and not the relative program
> > > (Excell,Outlook,Word a.s.o....)
> > > How can i cancel these right click menu ?
> > > Thank

Paolo

Hi Glee
Your are always really cooperative on these newsgroup

i thank you for your suggestion.
How can i replace this key? I don't remember how exactly was it:
These was the first line on the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT
May you indicate exactly how to do it?
Many thank in advance.
Paolo

"glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
> You should not have deleted the "*" key itself. All you should have done
is to
> delete the "Notepad" entry in the right pane of Regedit.
> --
> Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx
>
> "Paolo" <paolotripi@aliceposta.it> wrote in message
> > Hi
> > i tank you really much for your help.
> > I have tried to do this kind of suggestion ,but the open with windows
has
> > had always the little box "open always with" was gray and i can't remove
the
> > association.
> > Looking in the regedit file i discover in the in the Hkey_Classes_root a
> > strange first key with a "*" key and "Notepad in the right part of the
> > regedit file.
> > I take courage and i delete this key form my regedit file and i solve
> > finally the problem.
> >
> > Regards
> > Paolo
> > "mrbigbry" <mrbigbry@discussions.microsoft.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
> > > I'm not quite sure what you are asking, but I will try to take a stab
at
> > > this. Somehow my guess is that at some point in time when you last
used
> > > notepad as a file associate, you checked or left checked the little
box
> > that
> > > said "open always with notepad". To get an "open with" option in Win98
> > where
> > > it will allow you to once again chose what type of file you want
> > associated
> > > with what you are trying to do, try this. "highlight" the item you
want
> > > "right click" on. Before you right click on it hold the "shift" key
down
> > and
> > > "right click" at the same time. Not only should a "open" option
appear,
> > an
> > > "open with" option should also appear as well. You then can highlight
> > that
> > > and it will allow you to once again choose what file association you
want
> > > use. Once you highlight what you want to use, notice the little box
on
> > the
> > > bottom left. I always make sure I "uncheck" this box before I use the
> > file
> > > association or that file will always use that file association, such
as

> > will

The Default info in the key is simple enough to replace, but there may have been
added items from various installed programs that give options for all file types.
That is what the "*" key deals with.....*all* file , whether they are registered
file types or not. There will generally be Property Sheet handlers and Context Menu
handlers for programs like your anti-virus, and WinZip if it is installed, and also
Briefcase if you have that Windows applet installed.

You should always make a backup of a registry key before you delete it, by using the
Registry>Export menu option in regedit, to save the key as file. Too late for that
now, though. You could restore the registry to the date just before you deleted the
key, if you have not installed or uninstalled any programs or updates since that
day. that is done using the scanreg /restore command from a DOS boot-up,
selecting the backup (rb###.cab) from the list which has a date of just prior to
your deletion, and following the prompts. When you get back to Windows, you can use
regedit to delete only the Notepad value and data. I would export the key first and
post it here so we can be sure of what you are seeing there, first.