Right Click not working on desktop icons, nor will AVG protection is working

bhalton26

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2007
Hello, last week I noticed that my PC was acting up but I thought it was because of the recent Radeon beta drivers that I've installed. The screen kept flickering and was getting multiple "windows has recovered from video driver errors", so I deleted and installed the regular drivers....problem solved. Then I noticed that right clicking on desktop icons was not responding unless it was an actual program or game like Division. Mainly on short cut folders and files I would just get a blue circle and the screen would freeze then refresh. Tried to open up my AVG protection programs but neither AVG protection or Tune Up will run, not even with Administrator. I decided to run system restore...and long story short...I ended up reinstalling Windows 8.1 and upgraded it back to Windows 10. For a week everything was running good, until just now its happening again. This time I didn't install any Radeon beta drivers, and didn't receive any warning, I just went to right click and delete a file off the desktop and noticed the same thing is happening and not to mention AVG is not responding. I tried to reinstall it, but the damn program will not launch, please help.

Follow up: its all right-clicking in general now in all folders, sub folders, files, pictures, video clips, even files on DVD/Blu-Ray. I can only right click on windows itself as long as I'm not clicking over an icon with the exception of video game short cuts. Not even right clicking on Recycle Bin is working :-(

Colif

Win 11 Master
i would suggest a reset, you will lose all your programs but keep files and settings. Disconnect any extra hard drives so it can't delete contents.

go settings/update & security/recovery/reset this pc
select keep files (you have option to wipe all)
windows will save some things and restart and reinstall win 10 on pc.

That should fix it

if you don't like that idea, can you right click start button?
if so, select command prompt (admin)
type SFC Scannow and see if it helps.

bhalton26

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2007
Did the 2nd option just now, the right-click errors kept returning after reboot. I had to run system restore every time I start my PC due to the right clicking and virus protection not working and just tried the SFC Scannow option. I'm thinking its something to due with a Windows 10 update because every time I shut down my PC I see a message that PC is installing updates, then it comes back with the right clicking not working. I regret using the free Windows 10 version, may just go back to 8.1

bhalton26

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2007
Did a little more research and someone else had the same issue it was a shell ext from AVG that was causing the issue. I used CCleaner so disable them, so I'm guess the lastest updates from AVG caused this issue. Will try uninstall AVG re-installing it tomorrow.