Hopefully someone will have seen this. When I right click a file it often
takes 15-20 seconds to bring up the menu. My machine has over a gig of
memory and according to task manager there is no process that seems to be
pegging. I had Adobe Acrobat and winzip in the context menus and uninstalled
those apps, but this did not help.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Neobyte

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2002

I have had this before. It boiled down to a dodgy context menu entry.
I used this freeware app to fix it:

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html

It's really quite good. You can enable/disable any plugins to your
context menu at will. As I recall you need to log off/log on after
each change but I can't remember.

Rock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002

Tim Ogawa wrote:

> Hopefully someone will have seen this. When I right click a file it often
> takes 15-20 seconds to bring up the menu. My machine has over a gig of
> memory and according to task manager there is no process that seems to be
> pegging. I had Adobe Acrobat and winzip in the context menus and uninstalled
> those apps, but this did not help.
>
> Any suggestions are appreciated.

See this link:
Right-click is slow or weird behavior caused by context menu handlers

Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

In article <uBF180osFHA.3596@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl>, tim.ogawa@gmail.com
says...
> Hopefully someone will have seen this. When I right click a file it often
> takes 15-20 seconds to bring up the menu. My machine has over a gig of
> memory and according to task manager there is no process that seems to be
> pegging. I had Adobe Acrobat and winzip in the context menus and uninstalled
> those apps, but this did not help.
>
> Any suggestions are appreciated.

Open My Network Places, remove any links to network places, I've seen it
do that with disconnected locations on the network.

--

spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me