[SOLVED] right clicking on a file

brannsiu

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2013
When I right click on a file, the task menu appears, but there are some options that I do not want it to appear on the task menu, they are from third-party program, not the Windows default. They are affecting my experience, how can I remove them from the task menu? For example, zip or send to Android phone etc (all from third party software).
I'm unable to find out where to configure to remove them

Solution
Context Menu:

Since this may involve Registry edits, please please please make a backup of both the Reg, AND your whole C drive before starting this.

USAFRet

Titan
Context Menu:

Since this may involve Registry edits, please please please make a backup of both the Reg, AND your whole C drive before starting this.

Solution

brannsiu

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2013
Context Menu:

Registry?
Does it imply that the software developer or Microsoft doesn't want their user to configure the task menu?

USAFRet

Titan
Registry?
Does it imply that the software developer or Microsoft doesn't want their user to configure the task menu?
Not necessarily.

A lot of applications give you the option on the install.
Include on the Context menu or no.

Fail to choose No, and it is there, in a Registry entry.

Entries in the Context menu come directly from the Reg.
To change that after the fact requires editing the Reg.

And editing the Reg...it is STRONGLY recommended that you prepare for a mistake.
Hence, exports and backups.

They'll be configurable from the 3rd party programs settings most likely.
Ive never seen a 3rd party app automatically add itself to the Windows context menu without you accepting it because the windows administrator box will always pop up and ask you to confirm first.

brannsiu

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2013
They'll be configurable from the 3rd party programs settings most likely.
Ive never seen a 3rd party app automatically add itself to the Windows context menu without you accepting it because the windows administrator box will always pop up and ask you to confirm first.

100% they didn't ask for my permission during installation. I don't mean Windows Context menu or desktop, I mean when you right click on a file it shows a shortcut on the list of options. For example, ADD TO ZIP.... but the program I'm talking about isn't ZIP

USAFRet

Titan
100% they didn't ask for my permission during installation. I don't mean Windows Context menu or desktop, I mean when you right click on a file it shows a shortcut on the list of options. For example, ADD TO ZIP.... but the program I'm talking about isn't ZIP
The "Context menu" IS what shows when you right click.
That's just another name for it.

And you gave it permission to do many things, just by installing.

Generally, that happens if you just accept the default during the install.

"ADD TO ZIP"
Screencap of this?

What programs are they exactly??

If they're freeware I have an old laptop specifically for the purposes of testing stuff like that before I'll conspider installing on my main PC's. (once bitten twice shy)