Right combo??

G

I'm building a 1200MHz Socket A Thunderbird system on an ABIT-KT7RAID mobo. I don't plan on overclocking any time soon, but may in the future. For right now, I need to keep it cool, but also keep it quiet...I'm in a dorm room so I have to sleep right next to this thing :)

I was thinking of getting the Hedgehog 238 heatsink with the Ultra quiet Sanyo Denki 60X60X25mm 19.1CFM 28DBA fan. Will this give me the cooling I need? Any other problems with this combo?

Thanks,
Krazydave

Magneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hey Krazydave,

I'm not up to speed on the HedgeHog, but it will probably do ok. I would like to let you in on another option. The Tai-Sol forged 742092. It's big, bad, and quiet, and not quite so pricey. I've got one on my T-bird 1100, Asus A7v, and it's dropped my temps about 15 degrees F over the cheapo that came with my combo. My average running temps are about 100-115 degrees F. Oh the cheapo was not a little crappy looking one, but the Tai-Sol is much larger and is actually even quieter. With the no-name I was averaging 120-125 degrees without even pushing the processor. The most unique feature is the hold-down clip that slips over all 3 tabs of the socket. The other end that you push down even has a tab meant for a screw driver, and when you apply a little pressure, it locks itself into place tightly, but without having to push and worry about chipping or breaking anything.
Here's a link to a place that sells them, but always seems to be sold out. If you see it listed there, you can order it. It sells for about 10 -12 bucks at other places. They also sell the HedgeHog...a good place to do business with.
http://www.inflowdirect.com/taiscgforhea.html

Phil

G

I'm in the process of building the same system. I intend to use a Swiftech MC370-OA as I'm not that much bothered about a little bit more noise (all ready run boxes that sound like hovercraft). This system definitely will be overclocked.
It seems to be one of the best cooler's if just a bit on the noisy side.