Question Right cpu for my build

Tomchew

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009
100% for gaming, maybe some photo edit. So far these are the parts I already bought.

1080ti
Antec 900 case
2tb Toshiba hdd
1tb ssd
Evga 750w
Win10

Looking for suggestions on a cpu and mobo, I was thinking the i5 9600k but would I have to o.c It not to bottleneck the gpu, or thei7 8700k, and would a z370 mobo work?

Tomchew

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009
Once I save up I'll be getting a 1440 144hz, I was thinking a 4k but they are still really expensive and I'm out sure if ill need liquid cooling for that, I got all those parts really cheap so I just jumped on it.

Apr 20, 2019
www.instagram.com
I don't think you'll have to overclock your GPU to match up with the 9600K. Although you could always do so to improve performance, if you have a propper cooler for it.
Also the Z370 mobo should work on both CPU's. So I'd say take the I5. If you really have the money for it then sure, why not take the i7, but personally I'd go for the I5. :)

9600K is an outstanding gaming processor, even at stock.
At stock it will turbo to 4.6
With a fair cooler, you can oc all cores to near to 5.0.
The 9 series have soldered heat spreaders compared to 8 series so they will run cooler.
Few games are going to make effective use of more than 4 threads so the difference between 6 threads and 12 is not important for gaming.
As to chipset, I would try to go Z390. I have no technical reason to justify that, but chipsets get improved for a reason.
I do not think you need an expensive enthusiast motherboard.
and.. the 9600k is cheaper.

Tomchew

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009
I was am almost sold on the i5, but the more I research the more I lean towards an i7 with HT and more cores, as newer games it seems are starting to use much more cores, but maybe that's just people talking, but for a better future proofed system I think the i7 would be best I think.

Maybe I'll throw the 1080ti intk my old computer for now it's got,

I5 750 2.6ghz
8gb ram
650w psu
P7p55d pro mobo

Will it be safe to run it in there till I get the rest of the parts?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
The balance will be off running 1080Ti with the i5 750 but for giggles you can try, nothing harmful will come from it.

Contrary to belief, 9600k isn't a good choice for high fps gaming. Not in a way where it is unable to prepare so many frames, it's what happens when it does. Many people are hitting maximum cpu usage with this processor causing degrade in performance in many big games today.

Cpu needs to pre-render frames, do phsyics, Ai, multiplayer, map assets. More threads the better, 6 cores is becoming the minimum. Don't go an i5 if want it to last.

Tomchew

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009
The balance will be off running 1080Ti with the i5 750 but for giggles you can try, nothing harmful will come from it.

Contrary to belief, 9600k isn't a good choice for high fps gaming. Not in a way where it is unable to prepare so many frames, it's what happens when it does. Many people are hitting maximum cpu usage with this processor causing degrade in performance in many big games today.

Cpu needs to pre-render frames, do phsyics, Ai, multiplayer, map assets. More threads the better, 6 cores is becoming the minimum. Don't go an i5 if want it to last.
So what's a guy to do, get the cheaper i5 and upgrade in a coupe years, is intel even going to make anymore cpus with 1151 chips, or will those start to phase out with whatever the i9 has? Maybe i should wait for the new ryzen.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
I reckon wait for Ryzen

Not really sure what Intel are going to do in response to Ryzen. Are they going to sit? They probably will release 10 series but will it be compatible with z390? Usually each Intel chipset see's two cpu generations but since Amd is releasing PCIe4 on their new 500 series motherboards, i bet Intel will release a new motherboard for their 10th series to compete.

It's getting toward the end for DDR4, think both might release one or two more cpus before they move on to DDR5 platforms within two years (Guess).