[SOLVED] Right format for SSD ...

taavous

Commendable
Jan 18, 2018
Hi. I've got a new 500 GB external SSD. its original factory format is exFat. I'm intending to use it for storing and running virtual machines in VMware software such as windows server 2016 and CentOS Linux VMs. I was thinking of formatting it first to NTFS but I was told that I could get a better performance by leaving its format to exFat. I appreciate it if I could have your opinion about this. thanks.

Solution
Hi. I've got a new 500 GB external SSD. its original factory format is exFat. I'm intending to use it for storing and running virtual machines in VMware software such as windows server 2016 and CentOS Linux VMs. I was thinking of formatting it first to NTFS but I was told that I could get a better performance by leaving its format to exFat. I appreciate it if I could have your opinion about this. thanks.
An external disk may not have great performance for VMs no matter what. It might depend on what you are using for a hypervisor and how well abstracted USB is.

kanewolf

Titan
An external disk may not have great performance for VMs no matter what. It might depend on what you are using for a hypervisor and how well abstracted USB is.

Solution

taavous

Commendable
Jan 18, 2018
Even if it's a Type-C external SSD (read\write: 416 MB/s \ 370 MB/s), you mean it doesn't have enough performance for running Virtual Machines on it ?