Build Advice Right PSU for this build?

GoldBergz

Reputable
Nov 10, 2016
Hello everyone,

Since the amd's new stuff came out, it is way easier to pick the right psu for a new build based on their components.
That is why I want to ask you which psu would be a better option. Am I going to oc the components? Probably yes, but its not going to be an extreme oc.
The build:
Mobo:
B450 Tomahawk or some decent B550 with good quality vrm if they release it someday.
CPU: AMD Ryzen 3600
Cooling: BeQuiet Shadow Rock 2, along with high cfm 3x intake 120mm fans and 2x 120mm out
GPU: AMD RX 5700XT
Ram: Some ddr4 3200mhz (probably not hynix)
SSD 1: Adata Premier pro 120gb
SSD 2: Silicon Power Ace 55 512gb

And now the psu.
I've been considering about these two:
Corsair tx650m and Antec EarthWatts Gold pro 650w (EA650g).

I know that I could pick better than these, but there is nothing else at this price point in my country... So what would you pick from these two?

Last edited by a moderator:

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Between the two, i'd go with Antec unit since it's good quality PSU, made by Seasonic and uses Focus Gold platform (it's essentially same as Seasonic Focus 80+ Gold PSU). Corsair TX650m is also good quality PSU but it's made by Great Wall, who is 2nd grade PSU OEM (while Seasonic is 1st grade PSU OEM).

Note: if TX650m has 80+ Bronze efficiency then it's made by CWT and not Great Wall. Great Wall version has 80+ Gold efficiency.

Oh, all my 3 PCs: Skylake, Haswell and AMD are also powered by Seasonic. Full specs with pics in my sig.

GoldBergz

Reputable
Nov 10, 2016
Thanks very much, but also ive seen that there are 2 versions of EarthWatts and the older one should be avoided.
Is the code name EA650g a new unit or this old one?

Last edited:

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Thanks very much, but also ive seen that there are 2 versions of EarthWatts and the older one should be avoided.
Is the code name EA650g a new unit or this old one?
The older unit has part number "EA650G" and is made by FSP, with 80+ Gold efficiency, 3 years of warranty and is fully-wired.
The newer unit has part number "EA650G Pro" and is made by Seasonic, with 80+ Gold efficiency, 7 years of warranty and is semi-modular.

By looking the PSU's modularity you can tell if the PSU is older or newer version.

I believe all EarthWatts Gold Pro PSUs are Seasonic, so it is a good one. It was the older EarthWatts PSU (non gold) that had a bad type.
Not all Antec EarthWatts Gold Pro PSUs are Seasonic made. For example "EA500G Pro" 500W unit is made by FSP.

Last edited: