RIM Announces 4G LTE PlayBook Tablet

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Blackberry is becoming even more irrelevant than Android. Blackberry needs to start giving free phones away to poor people on boost mobile or cricket to get marketshare back before it taints its image as the pone for poor people like Android has done.

Trust!

mcvf

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
[citation][nom]BUDOCITY[/nom]Blackberry is becoming even more irrelevant than Android. Blackberry needs to start giving free phones away to poor people on boost mobile or cricket to get marketshare back before it taints its image as the pone for poor people like Android has done.Trust![/citation]
Last time I checked, Android is so far anything else than irrelevant. Although, I am also concerned on the application portfolio for this tablet.

InvalidError

Titan
With almost every new non-Apple mobile device and display with embedded platform running Android, reports of Android's demise are greatly exaggerated. Windows Mobile and BB and others are the ones struggling with market shares.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
@mcvf : It is not necessary to quote a whole message from someone, especially when you are responding right below them. You can also edit the quoted text too. For example: [citation][nom]mcvf[/nom]Last time I checked,[/citation]

@Budocity : LOL Funny! Android is perhaps more relevant than Windows.

dark_knight33

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
Thought RIM did away with the playbook tablet?

Android irrelevant? ROFL, what have you been smoking? If anything, now that everyone else is finally giving Android their A game in the smart phone market, the iPhone is kinda becoming irrelevant. I see 3-5 ads for Android based phones a week. I haven't seen a single iPhone ad in months... It's hardly a "magical" experience worth advertising when every other manufacturer has learned to do it better. (e.g. Samsung)

[citation][nom]BUDOCITY[/nom]Blackberry is becoming even more irrelevant than Android. Blackberry needs to start giving free phones away to poor people on boost mobile or cricket to get marketshare back before it taints its image as the pone for poor people like Android has done.Trust![/citation]

LOL MS is the only thing irrelevant now. at least RIM has a promising phone and OS that will eventually released unlike MS

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
If they can get the pricing right, they may be able to at least keep their actual user base until BBX comes out. Then, they could launch a tablet and a phone based on it and hope for the best. If it doesn't work, I don't need to tell you what will happen...

stevelord

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
Playbook was a flop. This won't be any different.

RIM is a sinking ship. They fell asleep at the wheel and didn't adapt to changing markets quick enough. And their ace in the hole (Blackberry Enterprise Server) will be a thing of the past eventually as well.

jerm1027

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2011
While I want to see the Playbook be successful, I don't actually see it. RIM's products have been strong contenders for their business orientation. The first Playbook didn't even come with an email client. After that flop and not offering much over the competition, I honestly don't see this going anywhere, especially with the Nexus 7 being sold at cost.

oconnellda

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
Honestly, having used the original Playbook, the operating systems is very fluid and fantastic to use. The gestures (hence why the bezel is so big on the playbook) add a lot of functionality, and I found myself missing these gestures on the likes of the iPhone and Android devices. The sideloaded Android apps didn' run very well though.

The big reason to buy this tablet would primarily to adopt Blackberry 10, since RIM has announced that the Playbooks will receive Blackberry 10. BB10, from the looks of it, uses the same OS (QNX), so this has me somewhat interested. Also, if you are a blackberry user, the ability to tether and use the data connection on the tablet is a nice plus.

However, as of right now, the Nexus 7 would be a much better buy. I still have hope for Blackberry though, as I do miss the days when having a Blackberry had a cool factor to it. I do miss the keyboard from time to time too (iPhone user as the moment).

amdwilliam1985

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2006

I agree with you to some point.
Yea, they should give away phones, but not to the poor, to the corporate, that's how they make money, they're good with security.
On the other hand, Apple should only advertise to those uneducated and/or just plain dumb. Their iOS is cater to this group. Anyone who has ever use PC before can use Android, those who haven't used one before can go to iPhone aka dumbPhone ;)
The market is already flooded with 1 cent 3gs and the wannabe $100 iPhone 4.

GreaseMonkey_62

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009
It sounds like a nicer tablet than the first release. Guess we'll just have to wait and see how well it does. This is what the Playbook should have been when it was first released. It might have had a chance then.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]belardo[/nom]@mcvf : It is not necessary to quote a whole message from someone, especially when you are responding right below them. You can also edit the quoted text too. For example: @Budocity : LOL Funny! Android is perhaps more relevant than Windows.[/citation]
There is about 1.2 billion PCs in the world and about 90% run Windows
Android is not that popular yet, just cos it's cool to own a Jellybean phone does not make it the biggest thing since Elvis in Vegas

G

I love RIM! I will be getting the new playbook as soon as it comes out! My 9810 Torch is the best phone ever!

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
backbydemand: How many of those PCs are actually active?

The world today is different than 10 years ago. Other than MSOffice, Adobe CS, Intuit software... as long as you have a browser... who really needs Windows?

@BUDOCITY: I read your comment wrong... sorry, dis-regard.

SHouldn't RIM be working on getting out a modern phone than a slightly updated tablet? RIM is dead... they are spending 3 years to re-work QNX into a phone OS?! That is lame! If RIM wants to live, they need to go Android. They can customize the hell out of Android into their own system. Look at the various Kindle / Fire / Nook tablets out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.