RIM Board Does the Exective Shuffle, Appoints New CEO

Status
Not open for further replies.

fyend

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
[citation][nom]captaincharisma[/nom]says the apple fanboi[/citation]

Says the troll to the guy who didn't mention Apple. Troll hard 2 .. troll harder.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
[citation][nom]trevorvdw[/nom]Rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic.[/citation]

I have to agree. With the major players in the business there simply isn't room for all of them and someone has to go and that will be RIM. In such a competitive market that is fast changing and evolving it is only natural for companies to be pushed out.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
The saddest part is that RIM has some features that none of the other players have: Encryption, all in one inbox, full integration of things like Facebook with and to your BB contacts, built in auto-Over-The-Air backups, the ability to tether without jailbreaking/rooting... The torch's keyboard PLUS touchscreen PLUS track-pad is a phenomenal assemblage of input possibilities...

But their low end/no contract offerings are SO BAD, and their software is just so buggy, and their phones are so expensive...

All they need is some vision, and some brand management, and they could be a player in this market again...

the real mr b

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011
I honnestly disagree on the fact that there isn't place for more players in the mobile market. It's a constantly expanding market and fact is, a BlackBerry CAN "interact" an android device. If you have a Windows Phone, you can call IPhones etc., you are not "excluded" from the others. You can't compare the mobile device market to, for example, an operating system market where a Windows computer can't really "interact" with an Apple computer.

Of course, when big players like M$, Apple and Google enters your market, you are going to lose market share no matter what you do. At the end of day, RIM has a decent amount of fans out there and they will be able to exist. Their devices are unique and provide something different for their users.

G

dark_lord69 = John Thain? (The guy that sold Merrill Lynch to BofA)

ok seriosuly, how did Heins get a promotion to COO 6 months on the job? What kind of results did he produce that quickly to warrant this? Me thinks he was told he would be CEO very quickly by the board and just parked in those other positions for a little while. Man, what must it feel like to be a RIM employee these days? Feel bad for those guys.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
[citation][nom]the real mr b[/nom]I honnestly disagree on the fact that there isn't place for more players in the mobile market. It's a constantly expanding market and fact is, a BlackBerry CAN "interact" an android device. If you have a Windows Phone, you can call IPhones etc., you are not "excluded" from the others. You can't compare the mobile device market to, for example, an operating system market where a Windows computer can't really "interact" with an Apple computer. Of course, when big players like M$, Apple and Google enters your market, you are going to lose market share no matter what you do. At the end of day, RIM has a decent amount of fans out there and they will be able to exist. Their devices are unique and provide something different for their users.[/citation]

I want to agree with you. I really do. But the fact that anyone can get the rights to make a Android phone or even a Windows but mainly Android makes the market a vicious one. Those who make Android phones even have to compete with each other.

Apple has a cult following with a army of brand loyal customers. They have a much larger financial backing. Love or hate Apple they are here to stay.

Google's Android isn't just fueled by Google but all the companies that make products that run the OS. With this major backing this means new products running Android can be constantly put out. Flooding the market with new toys faster than RIM or Apple can combined. In it's short time Android has over 50% of the market share and is still growing.

Microsoft's Windows phones while not getting nearly much attention is something that clearly plans to stay. At this point it only has one way to go and that is up. Even if it doesn't it's Microsoft and they can afford to get less than great sales.

Then you have RIM. Least amount of money than any others mentioned above. RIM is losing major marketshare and is down to 16% and there is no sign that it is even stable there. The few loyalists that RIM has will not be able to keep them afloat. Due to the flood of Android devices RIM is going to be washed away. I don't seem RIM around 3 years from now.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]alyoshka[/nom]I really like the "Loyalist" and "Fan Following" bit, it makes them sound as if they buy a new phone everyday of the week.[/citation]
You would until you get a windows phone

Status
Not open for further replies.