RIM Isn't Sleeping Much, Says CEO

Status
Not open for further replies.

audi911

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2011
The first stage will consist of pushing out information to key "influencers" including celebrities, corporate tech executives, analysts and reporters

What a sad day it is when your first key influencer is a celebrity. I think the further ahead we plow to the future the dumber the generations become when they have to look for celebrities for influences.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
Competition is good, but it's kind of sad that such a huge player in the market decided not to listen to its consumers needs earlier on.

People TELL companies what they want and expect from them, and RIM decided to go their own way so now they are paying the price: Late to the party, and in trouble if they fail.

His view follows an industry-wide belief that the desktop and tablet form factors will eventually merge, creating a hybrid device.
You are $#!+ting me, right? There is absolutely no "industry-wide belief that the desktop and tablet form factors will eventually merge". There are pundits that foolishly believe that desktops and laptops are obsolete, and then there are people who actually use computers who understand that this is a pipe dream, at least for the foreseeable future.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
sleeping???....i think that they have been snoozing for a very long time...the only reason why they are still in business is because of the US Government....sad but true...no one else whats to buy their crap

G

"People TELL companies what they want and expect from them"

when has that ever worked

RIM does what it does best: take that or leave it

Bloob

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
RIM actually gained most of its customers during the early iPhone days, but it was never any kind of a king, well, king of NA maybe. That said, I do hope both RIM and MS will succeed in creating a profitable ecosystem.

benji720

Honorable
May 24, 2012
I still use my Blackberry Pearl 3g. I have tried all sorts of other smartphones (massive stack of them in my office, actually) and I still haven't found anything that I can type on without looking the way I can on a Suretype keyboard. When this thing breaks, I hope I can still find a used one on eBay.

ashinms

Honorable
Feb 19, 2012
I really don't know what to say. I was planning on buying an unlocked bb 10 slider when they released to replace my galaxy note that is nearly unpack to type on. Hearing they might not release one it's kind of saddening....

murzar

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
They aren't bad phones.. only overpriced for the features and the hardware in them. Only Apple can get away with that, Mr. Thorsten Heins.

acyuta

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
Relying on enterprise customers and not innovating as much as others who first attacked them sideways and then full frontal. They were sleeping while the money rolled in and it seems that now whether they have awakened will not make a difference. In that case, better option is to keep on sleeping than working.

`I’m not stopping until this company is where it belongs':

where would that be. I hope this is not the bankruptcy court.

G

Not sleeping much? Sounds like somebody's worried about losing his RIM job... ;)

jlats26

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011
RIM is actually a social network...they just haven't realized it yet. "BBM" is probably the main reason RIM has stayed afloat for this long. A huge majority of their customers will not switch because they have so many friends that use the Blackberry Messenger Service. So why not focus on that? Make BBM a social network that spreads across all devices including iOS and Android. Boom.

The_Trutherizer

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
The way I see it computing, display, input and comms should just be modularised and standardized (for heaven's sake nothing proprietary). That way you can have your computing power box with cpu and ports. Stack on 3D accelleration when needed and output it all to any screen. Use input device of choice. Touch screen smart phones and tablets will eventually serve a niche ultr-mobility role, but could also serve as the computing/acceleration/input unit in a pinch. Ultimately though you'll probably not have seperate computing and acceleration. It's early days for APU's and other CPUs with integrated graphics capabilities. They will become immensely powerful as time goes by. It's just the way things go.

samkl

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012
[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]People TELL companies what they want and expect from them, and RIM decided to go their own way so now they are paying the price: Late to the party, and in trouble if they fail.[/citation]
That's the problem. People were telling RIM that they want secure email, a real keyboard and long battery life. The fall of RIM happened because they listened to their customers and did exactly what they've asked.

[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]RIM is actually a social network...they just haven't realized it yet. "BBM" is probably the main reason RIM has stayed afloat for this long. A huge majority of their customers will not switch because they have so many friends that use the Blackberry Messenger Service. So why not focus on that? Make BBM a social network that spreads across all devices including iOS and Android. Boom.[/citation]
Then what? BBM Social Network users won't pay any fees to access using other platforms. That will take away one of the proprietary features.

RIM's niche is focus on low-end global markets and enterprises where security is a must.
-SK

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
We’re not sleeping much. I’m not stopping until this company is where it belongs.
and if that is in the trash-can, it will be sad.

They won't be #3... MS will be a distant #3 with their WP8. BB10 is like Duke Nukem Forever. It will never be state of the art, and when it comes out... disappointing. What few BB owners I run into, they are going Android. Let a BB owner play with my Atrix HD for a few minutes (a $50 Android 4.0 phone by Motorola) she decided to not wait another year for BB10 to come out :)

By RIM... nice knowing you. You should have gone Android.

vertigo_2000

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2007
"the company is preparing a three-phrase marketing push for Blackberry 10." - lol

Phrase 1 - Blackberry - The other fruity phone company.
Phrase 2 - Blackberry - Remember us?
Phrase 3 - Blackberry - The old guy at the bus stop who tells stories of his glory days.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
A week or so ago, a guy drops his phone and says "good thing its a blackberry". I thought "Whatever" and thought about tossing my Android on the floor to prove a point. Just my look the screen would break... so I just laughed on the inside.

Sure... if you have an OLD-style phone without a touch-screen, its plastic non-touch screen shouldn't break.

Status
Not open for further replies.