RIM Stocks Rise After Samsung Licensing Report

Status
Not open for further replies.

icemunk

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2009
I think the stock rise has more to do with the patent case, and the jury verdict being overturned. (RIM no longer has to pay $150 million to a US patent troll).

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
False hope. That's what Kodak kept saying, that it was going to license out its patents. The RIM patents might be worth a little more than Kodak's but that won't stop the bleeding.

I think the stock rise was due to short sellers cashing in.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
LOL... perhaps the only thing that may happen... Samsung buys RIM in 2013, when its just on its last breath, with less than 200million in the bank, which would give them a few months of life. Take the patents, re-engineer BBM into an Android product that they SELL for a business line of phones... face it, most people don't need BBM.

Since Samsung doesn't make a clone of the iPhone... and they have been in the phone business far longer than Apple... then I hope Samsung can bitch slap Apple in court. And then both companies can actually compete with technology.

This could be like the worst dream come true, but it won't happen - RIM has enough money in the bank to survive for years, and it's still making money, just not as much.

It's amazing what these "analysts" can say.

tntom

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2001
I would rather Google buy out RIM personally. Though that would be hard for RIM users who want to avoid Google.

law shay

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2011
[citation][nom]belardo[/nom]LOL... perhaps the only thing that may happen... Samsung buys RIM in 2013, when its just on its last breath, with less than 200million in the bank, which would give them a few months of life. Take the patents, re-engineer BBM into an Android product that they SELL for a business line of phones... face it, most people don't need BBM.Since Samsung doesn't make a clone of the iPhone... and they have been in the phone business far longer than Apple... then I hope Samsung can bitch slap Apple in court. And then both companies can actually compete with technology.[/citation]

I agree. Afterall, Samsung is working on xxxHubs - GameHub, SocialHub, ReaderHub, ThisHub and ThatHub. They'd compete Apple using their own IM platform. Samsung even has their own app store and cloud storage -- mind you.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
And who actually uses those? How many of those are real? I don't see any HUBs on my Samsung phone. Amazon, B&N, and anyone else with a computer can have a cloud system. Its nothing special, just like a rectangle with curved corners.

Really, I'm not sure why Samsung doesn't bring in one of their LCD monitors from the 2004... Does it really look any different any other touch-screen phone?

Status
Not open for further replies.