'Rime' Cracked Less Than A Week After Release, Dev Promises DRM-Free Version

Status
Not open for further replies.

dstarr3

Distinguished
Denuvo isn't something that devs typically embed in their game permanently, anyway. Most of the time it's removed after 3-6 months, after the period of highest piracy rates has passed. It's hardly there to be impenetrable, it's just there as a theft deterrent for those that can be deterred. As for the pirates that can't be deterred, well, no DRM will stop them anyway, so what's the difference.

mrmez

Splendid
Hahaaaa.

These guys need to take a break from programming and study human behaviour for 5 minutes.
1. Tell somebody they can't do something.
2. Watch them do it anyway.

I'm pretty sure this is what they wanted though. It sounds like the publisher wanted the copy protection added, while the developer didn't, so the developer challenged people to break it to encourage the publisher to let them release a DRM-free version sooner. Or maybe it's all just a publicity stunt.

XaveT

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2013
I'm curious to see if they actually do it. I may have to buy it to support them if they actually live up to the promise.

Honesty and living by one's word is just so... out-of-place in this age.

I waited till Doom pulled out the DRM to buy it... Pirates are going pirate no matter what. Are they really stopping anything? There maybe more people out there like me who avoid titles like that as well. I don't mind paying for something, but I'm not going through the hassles of dealing with DRM.

jeremy2020

Distinguished
May 12, 2011
DRM doesn't work. DRM just causes problems for people who pay for the game. It's silly, pointless. It has been proven over and over and over that it is far more effective to connect with your fans and give them a reason to support you than waste money on DRM.

If a million people pirate your game...you're gonna be doing fine because piracy rates are ridiculously low so you likely sold many millions of copies. The amount of time, money and effort put into anti-piracy efforts is silly.

RomeoReject

Reputable
Jan 4, 2015
One developer does a terrible implementation of DRM, and suddenly DRM is a huge headache for every user of every game.

I legitimately don't know how many games I have that use Denuvo, because it's completely in the background.

kinggremlin

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009

Challenging someone to do something is not remotely the same as telling someone they can't do it. Tequila Works never said or even implied that Denuvo was uncrackable. Their official stance that they didn't want to use it in the first place and the promise to remove it if cracked does far more to imply they actually wanted it to get cracked by someone.

Quedex

Prominent
Jun 3, 2017
Jeremy2020: that's actually bullshit. IF DRM keeps pirates at bay the first month, the difference in revenue can be in the order of MILLIONS.

I spoke with a Square Enix manager about that last year, and he confirmed that usually DRM does cost thousands of dollars and makes a huge difference for single player AAA titles like Nier Automata.

sh4dow83

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2011
"IF DRM keeps pirates at bay the first month, the difference in revenue can be in the order of MILLIONS."

And what about the millions they lose because of people like myself who don't buy DRM-riddled crap?

"I spoke with a Square Enix manager..."

Of course a manager has no reason to lie. (Or be short-sighted/ignorant)

Quedex

Prominent
Jun 3, 2017
"And what about the millions they lose because of people like myself who don't buy DRM-riddled crap?"

They are fewer then the people who would pirate the game in the first days. The ratio actually change a lot between different games, but it's still there, It's an historically and mathematically accurate fact.

"Of course a manager has no reason to lie."

What would be the point of lying? They want your money and would gladly spend less on Denuvo. So much, in fact, that they turn it off when the game is cracked.

"(Or be short-sighted/ignorant)"

He had years of statistical data on sales, and yet, you surely know better because...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS