Question Ring Cameras/Wifi Timer Spur

Mar 18, 2023
Hi Guys

First Post so go easy on me :ROFLMAO:

Right I have an ongoing problem thats driving me insane and I can't put my finger on what's causing the issue. I have a basic understanding of wifi bands etc but in no way would i say I have a great understanding

I currently have 3 ring Cameras gen 3 and a gen 2 ring door bell.
I have virgin M500 wifi with a Hub 3 dual band.
5ghz wifi is fine and is always fine
The 2.4ghz is the one causing me the issues.
I always have Internet connection so that's not the issue

When we first moved in I just had the ring items. They all worked fine with around 50 to 60 db signal at all of them. Distances are as follows

Ring door bell is about 10m away from router
Cam 1 is about 10m
Cam 2 is about 15m
And Cam 3 is about 25m away.

I have a TP link wifi extender that Cam 3 and 2 are connected too. Every now again these drop out and I reset the TP link

I also have a BG socket extender near the doorbell and Cam 1

Every 1 to 2 weeks they all go really poor signal and some go offline

This includes a fused spur timer for outside lights that is connected to 2.4ghz

I seem to have to reset everything to get them back online. Some times 1 or 2 are still offline after the reset . Other times they all come om fine. Tonight everything is on apart from the spur.

It's almost like something cuases interference every now and again.

I have thought about ditching the extenders and getting a mesh network

I'm out if ideas after that if it doesn't work

Happy to answer more questions if needed.

Please help.me as I'm ripping my hair out with it.

At my old house I never had issues and all 3 ring items never stopped

Extenders should always be your very last option when any network is better than no network at all. They have all kinds of issues because you now have 2 radio signals that can be interfered with rather than 1. The other issue is the more extenders you put in your house the more they interfere with each other.
This is just one of those fundamental things about how these device work, they are garbage sold to people who think there is some magic solution to wifi. The main problem with wifi nowdays is not that the signal does not go far enough it is all the signals that are going too far from your neighbors houses. Everyone just stomps on every one else. Kinda like if your neighbor had his tv on too loud and your solution is to get a audio amp so you could turn yours up louder.....and of course your neighbor does the same thing.

Mesh is mostly just a way to get people to spend more money on fancy looking boxes that are basically repeater/range extenders in a different box. They make all kinds of claims but mostly the difference is it is easier to setup a system where all the units are made by one manufacture.

The one exception to this are very expensive mesh units that have a extra wifi radio chip. They use this extra chip to create a backhaul connection between the main router and the remote mesh unit. They then have 2 other radio chips to talk to the end devices. Although you still have 2 radio hops between the end device and the router they at least are not interfering with themselves. These are better than the cheaper mesh systems and repeaters but are still have all kinds of strange random issues. If you really want to use mesh you need to get the units with the extra backhaul radios.

Since most your stuff is very low bandwidth what I would do instead is buy powerline network devices. At first I though that is what your "BG socket extender" was but it appears that is just a wifi repeater in a fancy box.
Powerline units use your electrial wires to run a network. They appear to be ethernet cables...but only get about 130mbps or so even for the units that have a 2000 number. In your case I would buy remote units that have wifi AP built in. Your router would connect to a unit with a ethernet cable and it would be as if you ran ethernet cable to all the remote rooms and plugged in a AP. Powerline since it is using wires that run through the wall it does not have the issue like wifi where a thick wall is blocking all the wifi signals. You can also plug the cameras into the power line units if you can run a ethernet between the powerline unit and the camera.

I would still avoid buying too many remote powerline units that have wifi. I would start with fewer and then add more if you need them. Too much wifi is almost as bad as not enough because of the interference.

Hi Guys

First Post so go easy on me :ROFLMAO:

Right I have an ongoing problem thats driving me insane and I can't put my finger on what's causing the issue. I have a basic understanding of wifi bands etc but in no way would i say I have a great understanding

I currently have 3 ring Cameras gen 3 and a gen 2 ring door bell.
I have virgin M500 wifi with a Hub 3 dual band.
5ghz wifi is fine and is always fine
The 2.4ghz is the one causing me the issues.
I always have Internet connection so that's not the issue

When we first moved in I just had the ring items. They all worked fine with around 50 to 60 db signal at all of them. Distances are as follows

Ring door bell is about 10m away from router
Cam 1 is about 10m
Cam 2 is about 15m
And Cam 3 is about 25m away.

I have a TP link wifi extender that Cam 3 and 2 are connected too. Every now again these drop out and I reset the TP link

I also have a BG socket extender near the doorbell and Cam 1

Every 1 to 2 weeks they all go really poor signal and some go offline

This includes a fused spur timer for outside lights that is connected to 2.4ghz

I seem to have to reset everything to get them back online. Some times 1 or 2 are still offline after the reset . Other times they all come om fine. Tonight everything is on apart from the spur.

It's almost like something cuases interference every now and again.

I have thought about ditching the extenders and getting a mesh network

I'm out if ideas after that if it doesn't work

Happy to answer more questions if needed.

Please help.me as I'm ripping my hair out with it.

At my old house I never had issues and all 3 ring items never stopped
You should first determine if there's interference from neighborhood systems since that's the easiest problem to solve. Download the free wifi analyzer from the microsoft store and see what's going on in your neighborhood. If it looks like there's interference you can change the channel your router is using to avoid it.

TRENDING THREADS