[SOLVED] Rip CD to MP3 - clicks and drop outs - PULLING MY HAIR OUT!!!

gregsuarez

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2013
I just spent hundreds of dollars replacing dozens of my favorite CDs I lost in a divorce. I have ripped them all to MP3 so I can have them on my phone. All is well except for one... Roger Waters' Amused to Death. One of my favorites, which makes this even more frustrating. I have ripped it 3 times and each time I get clicks, stutters and drop outs through the final 2 tracks of the album. The errors are never at the same place in any of the 3 rip attempts. I was thinking it might be a buffer problem, but I have not heard these errors while sampling through any of the other CDs I ripped. The physical disc looks perfectly fine, and iTunes finishes the rip without complaints. Is this most likely a bad disc, or might I have a hardware problem?

Solution
Yes, error correction is on. I've actually never had this problem with iTunes, and I've been using it for years. Maybe I need to try something else.

Freeac, as I mentioned above, has a lot more options for the encoding process, including disc read speeds and accuracy settings, among other things.

I personally prefer Freeac over iTunes, because of the available amount of settings and options compared to iTunes.

EDIT:
I use iTunes as my main audio player on a daily basis, so it is not because I have anything against iTunes, but I prefer other options for the encoding process itself.

If nothing else works, you could try and see what happens if you use a program like Freeac or similar to rip the two tracks in question to wave...
Have you tried with error correction turned on in iTunes mp3 encoding options?

Did you try a different program - I personally use Freeac to convert my CDs to mp3, and I've never run into issues (although, admittedly, iTunes usually works perfectly fine as well, in my personal experience)

Freeac has a setting for increasing accuracy / quality instead of fast encoding times (edit: unrelated to bitrate of the file).

gregsuarez

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2013
Have you tried with error correction turned on in iTunes mp3 encoding options?

Did you try a different program - I personally use Freeac to convert my CDs to mp3, and I've never run into issues (although, admittedly, iTunes usually works perfectly fine as well, in my personal experience)

Freeac has a setting for increasing accuracy / quality instead of fast encoding times.
Yes, error correction is on. I've actually never had this problem with iTunes, and I've been using it for years. Maybe I need to try something else.

Freeac, as I mentioned above, has a lot more options for the encoding process, including disc read speeds and accuracy settings, among other things.

I personally prefer Freeac over iTunes, because of the available amount of settings and options compared to iTunes.

EDIT:
I use iTunes as my main audio player on a daily basis, so it is not because I have anything against iTunes, but I prefer other options for the encoding process itself.

If nothing else works, you could try and see what happens if you use a program like Freeac or similar to rip the two tracks in question to wave first, and then converting the vaw to the desired file type afterwards (only if the two song converts without errors to wav, of course).

Last edited:
Solution

gregsuarez

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2013

EDIT:

If nothing else works, you could try and see what happens if you use a program like Freeac or similar to rip the two tracks in question to wave first, and then converting the vaw to the desired file type afterwards (only if the two song converts without errors to wav, of course).
Feeac worked like a charm! No more pops, clicks and drop outs! Thanks for the tip!

Reactions: MadsModsat